Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm burning oil. Lots of it. I'm pretty certain it is because of how low the turbo sits, the oil return line is almost more horizontal than vertical. So I'd like to put in an oil return pump. Problem is... I can only find one seller online... I'd like to look at some different options before making a purchase...

Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Google isn't helping much.

TIA!

·
FF Affiliate
30,976 Posts
SVTDavan said:
So I'm burning oil. Lots of it. I'm pretty certain it is because of how low the turbo sits, the oil return line is almost more horizontal than vertical. So I'd like to put in an oil return pump. Problem is... I can only find one seller online... I'd like to look at some different options before making a purchase...

Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Google isn't helping much.

TIA!
What turbo kit do you have

Tom

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It started out as your stg1 for a ZX3. But the only thing left of that is the manifold and the turbo itself. All the piping and plumbing and whatnot was pieced together from Home Depot and Partsource. :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
I didnt think Tom's kit needed an oil pump. Your oil drain is piped to the pan right?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Is there oil in your charge air pipe leaving the turbo? And is it smoking and fouling your plugs?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't checked for oil in the compressed side. No issues with plugs though.

·
FF Affiliate
30,976 Posts
If you have my turbo mounted in the same place then you dont need a pump you have other issues

I would start with doing a compression test and a leak down test then check the turbo for bad seals

Tom

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Compression test was fine. Haven't done a leakdown.

I'm assuming oil return line, because out of the turbo, it slopes 45 degrees downward for about 8-10 inches, then completely horizontal for the rest of the way to the oil pan...

Also, before I put in an oil restrictor in the inlet side, it was smoking REAL bad. Put the restrictor in, and it greatly reduced the amount of smoking. If I turn the car off at a red light, let it sit for a couple minutes, then start it back up, it won't smoke for a few blocks. I'm assuming because the return line slowly backs up, then it starts smoking...

If the seals in the turbo are gone, can I get that replaced/fixed under warranty from you? Or through turbonetics? Is there any way I can test/troubleshoot it to be certain it's seals?

·
Registered
305 Posts
If the seal was blown I believe you would see oil in the down pipe. Maybe that is also the reason why it doesnt do it for a little while after start up, the exhaust has to get good and hot for it to really burn the oil in the pipe and create smoke.

·
FF Affiliate
30,976 Posts
With almost 35 turbokits out there for the SVT and none of them with restrictors and with the oil pans like i sent you with a 5/8 lower hose and none smoking , My guess would be either bad engine or bad turbo , It isnt a return issue IF you are still using all the parts i sent you

Tom

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If there was a problem with rings or valves causing the smoking, would I notice some sort of driveability change? Loss of power? Excess noise? Anything?

Cause I haven't noticed anything, other than smoke. No loss of power, no noise differences, nothing. Plugs look fine. Compression test looked fine... What else can I do to narrow it down?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts