Focus Fanatics Forum banner

where to get good HIDs?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Sn4ckM4st3r 
#1 ·
where can I find a good set of HIDs for the Foci?

#8 ·
I don't have projectors, why are they necessary for HID's? My buddy put a set in his Sentra SE-R and they look fine, nice and bright. My neighbor has done the same with his Civic SI and they're crazy bright. I've read up on the topic, HIDs run cooler than a stock halogen bulb, so no worries about burning the headlight enclosure. So what's the big deal? I'd imagine the light coming from the HID bulb is nearly the same as a stock halogen, only brighter.

#9 ·
Very VERY wrong.

I work with headlights. I do alot of lighting and i retro my own.

Headlight are designed to reflect the light. In this the case the bulb design is made for light to come out and be thrown by reflecting it.

In a HID setup the bulb is a tad longer and bears the element outside the bulb. While it may run cooler when inserted in a reflector housing creates immense glare and the cut off is a very VERY skewed line of light on a wall as that is how a halogen does it. Also you would need a Bi-Xenon menaing poor halogen high with a xenon HID low. Bad setup with glare and terrible light out put.

The projectors are designed to take the HID's light and do just that. Project it. In a crisp cut off of light with very very little glare to on coming traffic. With a projector the light will not be scattered into oncoming traffics eyes.

And car with the exception of very few uses a projector for HID's and the ones that don't have specifically designed headlights for it. The most recent i have seen in person the new Shelby Mustang.

#13 ·
I got mine from Unique Coatings & Automotive Lighting Specialties under the vendors list from cbrenn71. Had it installed since May and no problems so far *cross fingers*. Came with relay, lifetime warranty, and a cool miniature briefcase. Ooooh Ahhhh. Plus Chad was good to deal with. Its an Oracle brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.