Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm trying to save up some money to take care of my Focus ('04 SVT) and I'm wondering should I go to the dealer to get service done? I feel like that's the thing to do if my objective is longevity and good condition of the car, but it's my first car and I don't much about that sort of thing yet

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would think it would depend on your mileage and skill level. Some dealer services are very basic oil, plugs and filters. Other are more in depth like trans and coolant flushes, belts ect. Most dealer services are very over priced in my opinion. I worked as a Subaru tech for a while and was amazed at some of the prices we’d get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! My only concern is that I don't have any way of evaluating the quality of service I'm getting. Price isn't really my concern, I definitely am not wealthy, but like I said, it's more important to me that everything is in perfect order with my car. If I'll be getting the same or better quality service, then I'll go for the lower price, but I just don't know if I will be or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you buy the car from a dealer or a private sale? You could always ask a previous owner about the repair history and where they got it serviced. If you bring your car to a dealer for a simple oil change they’ll more then likely check it over pretty well to try to up sell you repairs. Based on that knowledge from the dealer you could try any other garage to see if they give you the same info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mileage is 33k btw. I got it from a dealer, and I think I have the paper service record stashed somewhere, I'll check that out. I do live in the Midwest now far from the East Coast where I bought it

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with onemoddedfocus. Most dealerships are overpriced and do not provide a high quality of service, especially on an older vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts