Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will sound dumb, but can someone please tell me where the transmission dipstick and power steering fulid tank on the SE Hatchback model?

I want to check these two things but don't know where they are located....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, well firstly the power steering is Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS), thus there is no hydraulics, and secondly the transmittion is sealed for life, thus there is no dipstick. Might I tentively suggest a read of the manual?
Chris

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi, well firstly the power steering is Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS), thus there is no hydraulics, and secondly the transmittion is sealed for life, thus there is no dipstick. Might I tentively suggest a read of the manual?
Chris
Good work, Captain Obvious.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestion! Except for mine didn't have one in the glove box apparently---Or i would have read it. (Found out after I got home). Had to read the one online (I was out away from the computer so I couldn't even do that at the time--was traveling)...

But thanks, I have found that there is no dipstick for either.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'd go back to the dealer and get a manual. Always a good thing to have in the glove box.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just in case, did you check the slot on the top side of the glove box where the manual goes? Some people overlook that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, no manual there. I looked throughout the entire car (the trunk, everywhere)... no manual. I got my hands on a PDF copy from the Internet, so this will have to do for now until I can get to a dealer to get a copy.

Sorry about the sarcastic remark, but obviously I'd look in the manual first before asking... it's just I didn't have one and I was on the road and wanted to check something because the car is making a noise that sounds like it might relate to power steering or brakes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No not really. We sat in the car and he went over things by showing me stuff. Most of which I already knew from taking like 5 test drives prior (at various dealerships). So I pretty much knew what most things did.

He did mention the new power steering system, and of course, my assumption was that there was at least that dipstick. I understand that Ford stopped putting dipsticks for transmissions on the Focus back in 2008 (and maybe earlier--although all of my Focuses prior to the 2012 had the trans dipstick anyway).

Anyway, the issue I'm experiencing is making me think it's more of a transmission issue. Seems to make this noise after shifting into 4th gear (using either automatic mode or SelectShift mode). And it only gets louder after about 30 mph. Someone suggested maybe it was a clutch issue?

I've determined it's not a brake issue, it's not a tire issue, and it's not a steering issue. I've also determined that it isn't being caused by the engine itself either, because I can run the engine high and low RPMs and it still does it (I've tried letting the car coast down a hill getting up to 60MPH while in neutral, and the sound is still there). Now I did notice that it is in relation to how fast the car is traveling, not neccesarily the speed/RPM of the engine, though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it's that SOME of the Focuses (I don't know which models--all of the ones i Had, had the dip stick) didn't have the dipstick for the trans. I know that in the manual it will say something along the lines of "if equipped" when referring to the dipstick.

Anyway, they probably did away with it because people probably either didn't know how to check their fluid properly, or is really wasn't a neccesary thing (since many dealers will check anyways during an oil change--at least my dealer does). That and I (myself) would only check it maybe once every few months.... never had to fill any of them or doing any service (most of them were sold by the time they hit 60k anyways, so I really never did any maintenance to them other than tire rotations and oil changes).

That doesn't bother me so much (no trans dipstick) becaus regardless I'm going to find out what's wrong with the car anyway tomorrow when I take the car in to be checked. Like I said, I'm hoping its just a bearing problem or even a brake problem and not a transmission/engine problem...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think it's that SOME of the Focuses (I don't know which models--all of the ones i Had, had the dip stick) didn't have the dipstick for the trans. I know that in the manual it will say something along the lines of "if equipped" when referring to the dipstick.
Manual transmission has no dipstick.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I guess this doesn't matter anymore. Obviously, the 2012 doesn't have a dipstick. Period. Just wanted to make sure. IN a way, I kind of like it that way, because you don't have to worry about crap getting into the trans via the dipstick tube, but then again it would be nice for diagnosis (which I know the dealer can check the level).

I just hope all of the sensors in the 2012 Focus are good at detecting issues early enough before damage occurs. That's my biggest fear is that a sensor malfunctions or mis-reads something as OK, when in fact it's not.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My understanding is the new Focus auto is a dual clutch dry trans. No fluid at all.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Book says there is no dipstick.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My understanding is the new Focus auto is a dual clutch dry trans. No fluid at all.
Nope! Dry clutch but the tranny has 1.9 qt of oil in it, used only for lubrication - it is a manual transmission (actually kind of like two transmissions and two clutches - one for 1, 3, and 5 the other for 2, 4 and 6). [loveff]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Auto has no dipstick but it's not "sealed for life." Fluid changes recommended at 60,000 for hard driving, if I recall.
And 150k for normal driving. It's like (is) changing fluid in a manual tranny, through the inspection port.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts