Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be blind cause all I see is the brake master which is currently leaking and destroying my carpet.......erm destroyed is a better term :eek:/ I want to replace it but I need the part # does it come with booster and cylinder or are they sold seperately?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The one you see inside that leaks on the carpet is the Clutch master cylinder.

Brake booster & master cyl. are on the firewall inside the engine compartment.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I wasn't aware the the clutch master was inside the car i though the clutch master and brake master where the same thing I mean the clutch was run off the brake master..if that makes any sense,,,,how hard is it to change them and do you have a part #?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The clutch and brake system run off the same reservoir.

The clutch master cylinder is easy to replace, just kind of a pain because the quarters are cramped. Be sure to properly bleed the clutch afterwards too. Not sure of the part number, should be able to find it anywhere

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The part that confuses the issue is that the clutch master cyl. is fed by a hose from the same reservoir that feeds the brake master cyl..

It's not the easiest, between crawling for access under the dash & removal of parts for access in the engine compartment for cyl. & bleeder access (battery,intake).

There are how to threads around, bleeding it is the largest PITA. Part number isn't needed, I actually got an original type in a Duralast pkg. from Autozone when I did mine.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the labor oh and do you think it's the hose leaking from the inside to the outside? I wind up refilling my brake master like every 3 months.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If you find brake fluid on your carpet under the clutch pedal, it's bound to be the actual master cylinder leaking

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Since all the hose/pipe connections are in the engine bay, any leakage inside the car HAS to come from the master cyl. (it extends through the bulkhead for the connections).

Simple enough, look right where the rod from the pedal enters the cylinder.

Usually drips down the pedal arm & accumulates in the pedal cover before leaking enough to drip right on the floor.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
thats exactly what's happening so replace the brake master or the booster?
Why?

We've been talking about the Clutch master cyl., unless you find some evidence of another problem.

Pretty hard for brake fluid to make it to the interior from the brake master through the booster & through the firewall. You wouldn't have decent brakes at all with that busted.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
The clutch master cylinder is easy to see under the dash because half of it is radioactive green. I think it always leaks where the rod goes into the actual cylinder.

There are how to threads around, bleeding it is the largest PITA. Part number isn't needed, I actually got an original type in a Duralast pkg. from Autozone when I did mine.
Yeah I think LUK has the most of market cornered on that part, when I worked at Advance I didn't need a part number, just look for the only box that says "made in Germany" hiding with the "China" boxes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts