Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I put the Ceramic brake and clutch grease for my breaks? On the pad?! It's not silicone so it doesn't go on the little screws.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you got a packet of grease with the pads, it should be for the slider pins.

Even in CA, make sure to scrape the pad holder areas smooth of any rust ( end of file works good) so they don't hang up as they wear. Up here in the rust belt a little never-seize is good on the pad to holder contact areas after they're scraped clean of rust.

A packet of anti-squeal is goo that solidifies & that would go on the back of the pads, haven't seen that included in any brake pad kits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I take a wire wheel to the slide grooves on the caliper bracket to clean the road grime and rust. Then I apply a conservative amount of grease inside these grooves (don't go too crazy or the lube will end up on the friction area of your pads when the brake assembly heats up). Its also a great time to clean and replace the grease in your slide pins and install new rubber boots. For smooth braking performance (and to ensure the brakes release quickly and fully) I reapply a thin layer of brake grease twice a year when I swap from summer to winter wheels or vice versa.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slider pins! That's what they're called. Here are the pads and grease that came with them. Do I have to grease the metal clips in the back along with the pins for these?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looking at your pads, there are two ears or wings that will sit in a guide on your caliper bracket. Grease this in addition to the slider pins. Take care NOT to get any on the friction surface of the pad or rotor or where any could run/drip onto the surface. Before you bolt the wheel on, soak a shop rag with brake cleaner and rub the rotor just for precaution. Spin the wheel by hand before you drop it to ensure it is not dragging. Then take the car out and perform your break-in procedure according to the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Great hints!

You can wipe off those rotors before even putting them on, need to get all the preservative off before any of it touches the pads.

Spray off & wipe as well for the fancy rotors I saw that aren't just a flat surface.

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
The metal clips/wire bails do not need any lube as they do not move at all once installed. They merely apply tension to hold the caliper in proper location, actually better to leave them dry so they retain with more friction. The slider grooves and pins though need lube.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The metal clips/wire bails do not need any lube as they do not move at all once installed. They merely apply tension to hold the caliper in proper location, actually better to leave them dry so they retain with more friction. The slider grooves and pins though need lube.
+1 If you put grease on tension clips you just run the chance getting it on the friction material and the only other thing it will do is collect dirt only the slider pins and grooves like AMC said

1 - 9 of 9 Posts