Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cute little zx3 is just that...cute. I don't want cute, I want badass!

It's bone stock, and as base model as base model gets. (before I had it, it was a company car)

I want to get at least some power to it, because right now it feels gutless to me.

My boyfriend works on cars and crotch rockets in his spare time, so I know he knows what to do, but he wont tell me. The only thing he told me he wants to do to my car so far is replace the plugs with coils.

I know a few things I could do to the car, but I know they cost alot money, which is something I don't have alot of at the moment.

My baby is a 2.0 liter zetec. So? Where do I start?

·
Registered
142 Posts
intake
exaust
tune
suspention

welcome to FF

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
first... IMO i wouldn't get the coils... the stock system is just fine. Put your money towards something else.. How much are you looking to spend first? Intake, exhaust, header for starters. I'd save the tune for last. The zetec is not going to yeild a lot of power from a tune anyway. The svt is a diff story. Figure out your power goal. If you want "badass" then Forced induction is in your future.. then you'll need bigger exhaust 2.5 inch at least or 3 inch.. and built engine.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
turbo!!!!!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
rachie listen to the guys/gals on here they help me all the time and are very insightful and knowledgeable in the zetec engines.

Im almost in the same boat as you, i am starting off but i've been given direction from these guys. Im starting with a TB (throttle body) and CAI (cold air intake), then doing headers and exhaust, suspension, and cams. No forced induction yet.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Is your car an automatic? If so get a tune from Tom (1turbofocus) and it will really wake the engine and trans up. As you continue modding you can get the tune tweaked for the changes you have made for free!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
stickers....lots and lots of stickers

jk

intake
exhaust
plugs and wires
then the fun money starts...start saving for FI

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
1st I would get oil breather and cold or cai air intakes and 65mm tb.
2nd FR 4-1 or SVT header, flex pipe and exhaust.
Up to you if you want 2.25" or 2.5" 2.5" is for big power gain.
That should keep you happy and nearly $800 to $1000 gone.

There's no need to change the plugs with coils at the moment.
Unless you have changed your timing then fair enough.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
tint and drop to start.. no power obviously, but it'll look less cute and more mean

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry I meant to tell ya'll its a stick! I didn't even think about it until later this afternoon and by then I was a long way from home. But I'm back now and I'm telling you, so if you need to know, there ya go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and no abbreviations because I'll have no idea what you're talking about. I don't want to have to call my boyfriend in here every 5 seconds to figure a new one out for me.

Clearly cai is cold air intake and tb is throttle body.

Other than that I've got nothin.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
^^^^
Awsome, that is definitely a smart way to go.
One of this site's vendors (Jayracing) sells the COP conversion.
Its a great addition and makes the engine run much smoother.
I'd start off with a volant intake, throttle body, then get everything
you need for full exhaust (header, 2.5" flex pipe, and flex-back exhaust system).
I would highly recommend the trubendz 2.5" borla exhaust.
Then get a good suspension (springs, dampers, camber kit, sway bars).
The rest is up to you as to how you want your car. Good luck and keep it clean.
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll like it here. Any more questions, just ask away.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What in the world is COP? lol Though you said no abbreviations, what's the deal. lol

Honestly, set a goal then get parts accordingly. An open ended goal will never ever go well. You will always replace things that have no real bearing on the function of the other. For example, TB and CAI really don't make that much power. You may see a gain of a few HP, but is that 4hp worth the $500 you just spent? IMO it's not.
Truth is the biggest/cheapest gains you will see will be from full exhaust (SVT factory header, 2.5" flex pipe and 2.5" flex back, IMO) and cams then a tune for the parts. Talking around $1,500 but gains that can be upwards of 40HP, and you won't need a TB, CAI, COP etc. to see that. But it depends on what cams and who does the tuning.
Normally I would say nitrous was cheaper, but in the long term it is not the lowest hp/dollar, short term yes.

my $0.02

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like ^^^^ he said, set a goal and go from there, whether your goal be to make the car look good, or run good, or both. Also if you plan on doing any performance upgrades, set a power limit in mind. I'd say anywhere from 150 - 170 horsepower is possible without going forced induction (supercharger/turbocharger). These goals also help you not spend money unnecessarily. For example, if you plan on going forced induction in the near future, don't waste your money on an air intake. That's $200-$300 dollars more that you could have for a turbocharger.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, no question is too stupid and it's better to get a second opinion rather than doing something you'll regret down the road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the COP deal was my boyfriend pretending to be me. he read my post and corrected me on what he said and apparently wasnt paying attention to what i said in the first place.

thank you guys for being such great help! keep posting away on here id love to see what everybody has to say!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts