Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. i have a 2003 zx3 hatch, and im trying to install an amp into the hatch to power my 2- 10's. my question is: where do i ground my amp too in the hatch area? i dont want to rip off alot of interior panels if it can be avoided. thanks
-Andrew

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
grounded mine to the bolt that holds the seatbelts in place. works well, an no one has gotten "zapped" yet. you could always drill a hole and put the wire around a nut or something. just be careful you don't drill into something on the underside.

Mike

·
Registered
845 Posts
yes, be very careful not to hit the gas tank. There's not much gap between it and the flooring/right rear wheel well. I just scraped up a spot under the rear seats with steel wool and bolted down the ground wire. I had to do it twice because the metal around the bolt rusted out, so keep an eye on that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you put the screw at the corner of the trunk I am 99.9% sure you will not hot anything. Thats what I did.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Oh, yeah put some primer or some kind of rust proof stuff. The floor is pritty thin and you should be able to see the screww from the bottom. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Grabber, I just did my system this weekend I have a ZX5, had a ZX3, the hatch is about the same so here goes. I grounded mine right to the screw that goes into the side panel, it goes into plastic but I put a washer on both sides on the clip attached to the ground, works great and I didn't have to work too hard at finding a spot, let me know how it turns out!

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i put mine under the rear flip-up seats, grounded to the corner of the trunk might be too long of a ground depending on where your amp is, mine are screwed onto the seats so i really only had one choice and that was under the rear seats, don't let the ground be over 3 feet long, keep is as short as possible and you generaly want the same gauge ground as the power wire if not a larger diameter (larger gauge) wire. Make sure to sand off the paint if ther's any too, if you use rust proof stuff make sure to put it on AFTER you screw it on.

- Scott

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone. i followed white's suggestion about the seat belt mount, and it works great. thanks for all the help everyone [:D] [thumb]

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
You will want to attach the ground wire to a solid piece of the body as near to the amp as possible to avoid creating a ground loop.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Ok, I just read what I wrote earlier and I wasnt very clear at all. If your in-dash receiver and amplifier are grounded to different locations, a ground loop may occur. In this situation, the multiple ground paths can, in effect, act as an antenna for interference. The interference is turned into noise, and you hear it in your system. When your components are grounded separately ground your amplifier using as short a piece of cable as possible, and to as thick a piece of metal as possible. The longer the ground cable, the more resistance can build up . Ground your amp to a heavy-duty bolt, like a seat bolt or a seat belt anchor. Also make sure your deck is grounded similarly to a heavy bolt.

One important point about ground cable: it should be exactly the same size as the power cable that's going in to the amp. If you've got 4-gauge power cable going in, you should have 4-gauge ground cable going out. 8-gauge going in? 8-gauge going out. No exceptions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts