Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TPS problem

The only recurring peoblem I have with my SVT is that my throttle posistioning sensor keeps going out. My car wants to idle at 3000RPM's while I'm rolling and then it slowly goes down to 1500 rpm's while I'm standing still. I have an extended warranty but I don't feel like putting my car out of commission for a week while the dealership takes its time fixing it.

Is this a hard fix to do at home? Any idea where I can get a TPS for cheap? I know the dealer wiil charge me way more than its worth.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I took the TPS off and the part that connects to the TB has water in it. I could see condensation when I took it off and when I tapped it against my hand it left quite a bit of water. I'm going to dry it out and see if that makes a difference.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Dont just dry it, take and place some die-electric grease in the connector to keep the water from getting in. How is water getting in there to start with?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure. It did just rain hard here within the last couple days and I have a CAI. If heavy water vapor or drops were to get in the intake it could make it to the TB and the bar, that connects the butterfly to the TPS, could allow water to get to the TPS. It would put the water exactly where I found it too.

Shouldn't this be sealed though?

I've had this problem on my stock TB and this is the first time with my 65mm.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My dealer sold them about 25-30 dollars, don't have the receipt handy. CFM also sells them, make sure you get the #'s off your orig and match them.
When Mine went bad it was from the Meth/ Alcohol injection beiong forced into the openings...needless to say the Snow System is just wasting away.....[:(!]

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The number on my TPS dosen't match either of the TPS #'s on CFM.

988F 9B989 BB 4E12B <---Mine
988F 95989 BB 3K22C <--- CFM

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
You should be able to pick one up at your local autoparts store!. They are pretty cheap. Tom has noticed several in the past fail due to moisture. You can dry that one and use it temp.But I would get a new one a as b16sir said put some di-electric grease on the connector.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duh! Thanks Viney. O'Reileys will have it for me tommorrow morning for $26. [thumb]

I hope this fixes it. . .

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the water doesn't get in through the connector in my case, every time mine fails, it's when i've let too much water hit the air filter (CAI)

usually when I leave the left fog lamp out... I do it cause it acts like a ram air system since the filter is just behind it... I just have to remember to put it back in during rainy days.

Unfortuneately, the pressurized air, plus heavy rain, pushes water past the seal at the throttle blade bar (where the TPS rides) and the the water is trapped in the TPS. Sealing the connector won't help this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thier only $30 bucks at the delership. Quick to it your self fix.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well O'Reilleys was a bust. They gave me what they thought was the right part but I could tell as soon as I looked at it that it wouldn't fit. The holes to fit the screws were way to long and the plug wasn't even going to connect to the factory plug. I really don't think that part goes on any Focus. I ordered the part from the dealership like I should have done in the first place.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
O'reilleys probably gave you one for a regular Zetec... from your description, it sounds likethe one for a ZX3 or Escape with the Zetec

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They didn't have an option for an SVT specific TPS. The sheet they had gave a readout for a 2003 Ford Focus 2.0 DOHC Manual tranny.

·
Banned
171 Posts
MVent said:
The number on my TPS dosen't match either of the TPS #'s on CFM.

988F 9B989 BB 4E12B <---Mine
988F 95989 BB 3K22C <--- CFM
The last five letter/number combos don't mean anything and that second number with "95989" in it is a misprint on their part.

The basic number of a TP sensor is 9B989 no matter what Ford vehicle it's on.

The number on your TP sensor is an engineering number, Ford does not put part numbers on parts.

The correct Ford number for the SVT TP is YS4Z-9B989-BB.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
in my situation, i have to take my battery out, my battery tray, and my AEM Cai, and take it out, and have autozone order one for me. vin codes are sweet. some places dont have it on file, but the 8th digit in the vin is a 5 and it matches with one in the comp, and i get one every few months..i am waiting for this one to go as we speak...does yours just pull itself along in 1st w/o ur foot on the gas?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I went to the Ford Dealer and picked up my TPS. I replaced the old one and now everything is working great.

02SVTsilverstreak said:
does yours just pull itself along in 1st w/o ur foot on the gas?
It did as long as it was level ground. Even at about 35MPH the car would take forever to slow down. My idle was at 3000 RPM while rolling and at 1500 RPM while still.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts