Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked on e-bay and was unsuccessful. I found a few aluminum dash kits but I would prefer black. The only black one I found was a carbon fiber kit for 110 bucks and it was only fit for the SVT or focus without an armrest. I have an armrest.

·
Registered
703 Posts
honestly, id say just go ahead and spray paint it. Unless you mean some different black texture, i think if you did a decent spray over (primer, base coats, clear coats) it would look good.

I painted my dash with this kamealon color paint, and it looks awesome. Just take your time!

-Brian

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I agree with you...I dunno how to get the center piece off..you know the piece that surrounds the radio. The silver metallic paint started scraping off. I don't want to paint it when it's on the car because overspray would probably F everything up. My guess is you have to remove the whole dash to get it off...?

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
^^ Im plannin on doing this... you have to take out the whole ENTIRE dash area. It has been done here, but im too lazy to search for it..... and then when removed.... my guess is LOTS and LOTS of sanding!

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
no problem... glad to help

·
Registered
531 Posts
DetroitBass said:
How do you paint the parts of the dash that appear to be a vinyl material?
The dash itself is mostly plastic with a texture. I was planning an interior project that would require me to paint the entire dash. Just today I painted some of the dash (from a junkyard focus) from tan to black with no problem using Duplicolor paint intended for Vinyl and Fabric. The test door panel is outside drying right now. I'll need to find my digital camera and get some pictures, it came out GREAT. OEM texture, still, but a nice black/graphite color, and no clearcoat shine.

I didn't sand, prime, anything. I just wiped it down with a wet rag for a few moments to get off any major dirt, then I literally dragged it outside, dropped it on the ground, and hit it with only one coat of paint.

EDIT: Posted http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89985

1 - 9 of 9 Posts