Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now when im driving normally just camly i shift around 2500 - 3000, but every so often like once a day when im flooring it because i love my mods :) i shift around 5500 i mean i dont know about a focus to much this is my first one before i had a truck and more muscley cars and they could take a beating but i mean this shouldnt hurt the car seeing as the redline is like 6750 right i mean its not beating the car too hard is it?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Wow if you think that is being hard on and worried it might not last then my car must be in hell lol. Everyday my car sees 6.5k rpm shifts! It can take just make sure you keep up with the maintence and you'll be fine. I do drive normal though I'm just saying once in a while is ok though for me its everyday and she never complains in fact sometimes I think the car wants more lol

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
your fine. Basically everyday i drive and shift like a grandma but probably 2-3 times a week i take the long way home and rip through the same 5-7 turns and my car loves it. I never take my car to redline and i keep up with the maintenance so im not worried. A car needs to be opened up every once in a while or it turns into a sissy.

·
Banned
143 Posts
^^^haha so true. i rkn its good for the car the wind it out every now and again. my theory is that it helps get temps up and blasts out any carbon deposits and other rubbish that could be on the valves and the spark plugs. ...or maybe thats just an excuse to give my car a good flogging. either way, its just fun. oh important!!- make sure the engine is thoroughly warmed up (about 10 mins normal driving) before gunning it or you will wear it out.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Mainly if you never open it up it will develope deposits and stuff so when you do open it up you'll the the little puff of black smoke come out thats the carbon build up. Unless your car just runs that rich like most factory turbo cars do.

The point is if your car is maintaned properly then it can take a flogging once in while. So get out there and start flogging!![driving] [driving] [race] [race]

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wouldn't make a habit of it but doesn't hurt to rev it up once in a while. Will still cause quicker wear and tear on atleast other components like motor mounts over time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The powertrain can take the abuse. Heck the weakest part of it is the diff, as long as you're not trying to be a burnout king/queen the diff usually will hold up.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^^yet again I strike I blew my diff lol. Of course when you have over 100 dragstrip runs and been used for a 1000mi without any fluid in the tranny (though it did last two years after it was run without fluid when it broke). If it was'nt for low fliud level the tranny would still going strong.

You know I'm starting to see a pattern here of abuse and broken parts [scratch] [screwy]

Point is a little fun is ok now and again. HAS LONG HAS THE MAINTENCE IS DONE. [shhh]

·
Registered
82 Posts
lol dang sleepy 1000mi!!!! [:0]

My trans is full & I blew the diff out just turning to get out of my parking space at work. [?|]

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I completly stripped one side of the spider gears. It could still move too lol it just did not like turning. You know when one wheel has to turn faster than the othe wheel it would make the whole car jump with a huge scary BANG!!

Yeah I could'nt believe it ether thats when I found out that it only holds 2.1 quarts. It still shifted good it was just noisy so I figured I'll leave it till it goes. It took two years for it to go. So IMO the MTX-75 is a pretty stout tranny to handle the real abuse I gave it. It broke on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift right about the 1000ft mark at the strip. It started spraying tranny fliud at that point. Shot it out through the axle seal on the drivers side. Right where the shaft goes into the tranny. I was at the Fun Ford Weekend when it was in houston. I was'nt even there 20min and broke the tranny. It was my first run of the day and last. I have a pic of the last run the car ever made down the strip. I'll see if I can find the thread.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
ive had my fofo fo 3 years about now with the original motor and tranny and only been stranded but twice lol. clutch went out the first time(a woman driver owned it before me and the clutch was going when i got it and it still lasted 6 months) and the second time was after i put the new clutch in wrong lol. the car has seen 70K miles with me behind with wheel pushing it to at least 6000 rpms every other time i drive it and occationally up to 7.5 when i forget about the rev limitor at burnout competitions. (check out getting cooper zenon tires. those suckas last forever. $50 for a set of them used and they still got good tread after 4 burnout competitions) give her hell she can take it with regular maintenance. always gotta throw in my $.02

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
haha, 6750?? I laugh at ur 6750 and wave at it as I go by it on my tach!!! lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
whats the point at revin to 6500 when your car no longer makes power at that unless you have a tune with mods even ? my focus loses power after 5400 thats when i shift everytime if you dont your just trying to rev longer then lets say a honda civic? ive raced hondas and sometimes i dont shift till they do because they have longer power in rpms normally but hey do what you want its a focus gotta love em

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
my car made max power at 7500 rpm

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i race quite often, i mean should i be good if i change the oil every 2k and make sure it stays clean, its only got 73k on it and i work at a valvoline so i do maintain it often, i put royal purple in it though cause i hear its like the best, i like to change every 2k just to be safe, i plan on building a second motor for it im just going to get the smae one but put forged pistons and rods in it and performance cams, i mean that way itll handle like 20lbs of boost but for the stock motor im just going to run 10lbs of boost in it and i think itll be fine with the stock internals.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i make 162hp at 6950rpm dunno what i make with spray lol is zex flywheel rated or to the wheels rated? aye and royal purple is really good motor oil but now that your using it you can never EVER use anything else. well thats what ive heard at least. i avoid the stuff like the plague

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
royal purple is great and you can use others it just has to be the same weight so if you want to switch to mobil 1 or something you will be fine just make sure it is synthetic and same kind

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i bought the car at 72k started using synthetic im obvilously not going to siwtch to conventional thats just dumb but yeah i use mostly royal purple enless im broke then i use valvoline synpower full synthetic cause its free.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts