Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is often talked about, dyno-tune, and I was curious at what point is it beneficial to do so? Is this something that is done only if you are doing cams and gears? What exactly is done?

I have most of the bolt ons, at least all that I anticipate adding at this point.......Volant, TB, Screamin Deamon coil/wires, FR header, RT cat, Bosal flex, Magnaflow cat-back, UDP. Would it be of any benefit to dyno-tune my car at this point?

Given what I have already installed, would cams/gears be the next step in mods?

Also, what is the expected charge for having a dyno-tune done?

Note: I don't have a chip, haven't decided if I want to incur the added expense of premium gas

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well u cant dyno tune unless there is anything to tune. soooo yes you would have to get cam gears before this, if ur getting cams in the future get them too. most dynos are about 75 bucks an hour. generally u get about 3 pulls

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How reliable/ accurate are the settings from the factory for the stock Focus? I remember reading a thread which indicated that the factory was somewhat sloppy and the stock tuning could be improved upon? Is that an accurate statement?

My apologies if my questions seem elementary or uninformed, this is an area which I am clueless.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Some cars come from the factory with bad timing settings and there a little slower than some that have been tuned better.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
its cool man no need to apologize. the factory settings are hit or miss some cars make more power than others. but to tune it, u do need adjustable cam gears, otherwise ur not dyno tuning, just dyno'ing

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I agree. if you are going to get that cam gears eventually , wait till, then to do the tune. As above, most of what you have is good bolt -ons, but in no need of a tune yet, when you do cams and pistons etc., basically " go inside" the motor is when it can be benificial.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
viney266 said:
I agree. if you are going to get that cam gears eventually , wait till, then to do the tune. As above, most of what you have is good bolt -ons, but in no need of a tune yet, when you do cams and pistons etc., basically " go inside" the motor is when it can be benificial.
I would have to disagree. He would benefit right now. Zetecs can gain good power by adjusting the cam timing. Just ask Ultegra about it. Or read about the SCC project Focus. He'll gain 7+ right now if it's done right.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I agree with you if he is going to do cam gears, but he hasn't done that yet, unless I'm mistakin you need them to adjust the cam timing on a stock zetec
But Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear, you can def. benefit from degreeing a set of cams and cam gears. We have seen as much as 12 HP on a motorcycle that is only making about 85 HP at the wheels from degreeing the cams

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Yeah, he has to do cam gears first, and they're like 250 or something. If he's planning cams in the near future he would probably want to wait and do cams and cam gears + dyno tune at the same time.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
remember u can dyno tune as many times as u want, do it with just cam gears, then later with cams, then again with head work if u get that far :) its not a one shot deal

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I start out with cam gears and go to get it dyno-tuned is it safe to say that the shop doing it should be able to determine the optimum settings or is it something I have to tell them what I am trying to achieve, the settings I want and they go from there? What exactly is it do they do when you have your car dyno-tuned? Adjusting the timing of intake/exhaust valve openings?

I realize that each car is different but is it within reason to expect, with the bolt-ons I have now, that a set of cam gears could give me 7+WHP?

Thanks for all the input, as I said this is new territory for me.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
you could gain 1whp or nothing, it depends.

all they do is basically do what you said, they "usually, depending on type brand of gears" take a 10mm hex and losen up the bolts on the gear and with a torx, maybe a 45 (been a while) and change the angle of the cam to do exactly what u said, to adjust the timing of when the intake/exhaust valves open.

good luck. ps: it may be expensive to tune depending on the shop

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
As above, very true, you could gain nothing. Basically they are looking for the optimum spot for the cams to make the engine happy. If they are already there, there is not much to be gained..However, most vehicles will benefit at least a couple horsepower from this...7 would be sweet

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I have checked around here and the closest shop that does dyno-tuning charges $78 and hour. So, you could end up spending $180 or so on gears and another, I don't know how much time is involved but say 2 hours, $160 to have it tuned and end up with nothing? Doesn't sound like a good mod for the money or for just one HP...if that is the case I don't understand why do so many seem to do it or want to do it?

Are there some other benefits?....or is it something that doesn't really start to make a significant difference until you change the cams too, then it really shines?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
It can have a bigger effect to tune, the more variables you have, so yes, cams would probably dial in even better. We are gettinr extreme in my example, but you know when you hear a car and it really sounds " tight", I mean when the guy gets in it it just sounds mean. Be it a v8 a ricer or a 2 stroke dirt bike...That is the sound of proper tuning. so that's the reason people want to do it, some times everything is all fine and you only gain 1 or 2 h.p., sometimes you gain more..
Basically, do all your mods first, then get it tuned. Hope that helps

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
well he sounds like he doesnt exactly have the cash to thrwo on multiple dynos and redynos, so i say do whatever mods your going to do and then dyno all at once if you can

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are cam gears something a first time do-it-yourselfer can reasonably handle or is it a project for the more seasoned mechanic? Where do you set the cam gears until you can get it to the dyno-tune shop?

Are there any good "how to's", I looked around briefly but haven't found any.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts