Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 86,500 kms or 54,062 miles on my car and I'm pretty sure the manual transmission fluid hasn't been changed.

The car shifts fine I believe but I just want to make sure the fluids are always good.

Is it too late to change it?! Should I slowly change it?!! Is there any way of checking the fuild?!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Ford does not specify a manual transmission fluid change except when used for towing or other harsh service. Under those conditions Ford recommends a change at 60,000 miles. That's the official Ford line.

In real life, it is a very good idea to ignore what Ford says and change the manual tranmission fluid. Of course, changing a manual transmission's fluid is less important than for an automatic transmission, but it is still a good idea.

To check the level, you must find the oil fill plug. You then remove it and see if the fluid level is within 5 - 10 mm of the fill plug hole. Of course this needs to be done on a level surface.

It is not too late to change it and there is absolutely no need to "slowly" change it. Many people find the shifting improved when they change to fresh, premium manual transmission lubricant. I have no personal experience with manual Focus transmissions; however, I am sure others will be happy to post their recommendations for manual transmission lubricants. On BMWs I have heard many good things about Red Line MTL, but offhand do not know if it is appropriate for the Focus transmission.

One piece of advice. Take the fill plug out before the drain plug. Not only will it drain better, but if you find you cannot get the fill plug out, you will still have a tranmission with fluid in it! Not much worse tran draining the fluid and finding you cannot refill it due to a seized plug.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm the second owner and I've owend the car since mid october and put on 11,000 kms already. The reason why I'm asking about the fluid is because I don't rember seeing any specific mention for the change interval.

I think I'll put in some AMSOIL MTX fluid. Any suggestions on the weight?

What color should the fluid be? I've never seen MTX fluid before.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Most MTXs can still use regular ATF, but if you're still running on the original factory fluid it'll be a dark brown color. According to Amsoil's product application guide, you're supposed to use their 5w-40 European synthetic motor oil (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx) However, if you want to use transmission fluid, I can't see any reason why their synthetic ATF wouldn't work in this application either (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx)

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I am usually a big oil geek myself, but for once I actually just used what ford sells for it. It was pricey ( 16 dollars a quart ), so I figured it was a good high end synthetic, and it did have a wierd texture.

I agree with Penguin, go ahead and change it as soon as you get a chance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys

Xp0sed alternator fluid and muffler fluid??!!!!!!!

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
When to change the MTX fluid?
When your 3rd gear synchros starts going out [;)]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
surgeo1919 said:
Thanks again guys

Xp0sed alternator fluid and muffler fluid??!!!!!!!
Yeah I change it all about every 20k miles. The car gets very rough when you go too long with old alternator fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts