Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the ol hag is ready to go! Pulled the trailer to here in socal from central Oregon, about 800mi, and averaged 33mpg. Been here visiting family, and found an old busted up dresser in the desert that I decided to repurpose as a cargo box. Worked fabulous! Pulls like a dream, and even looks good doing it 馃槑

The new Aimco XTD Pro Stage 1 clutch kit is spot-on perfect with the added load. And new battery, fluids, filters, belts, ignition coil and wires, motor mounts, A/C delete, and an all over general maintenance, made her just purr like a kitten 馃惐

Test drove the setup this morning on the freeway, and she's smooth as glass, and straight as an arrow at 75mph. There's a noticeable weight back there, but it's minimal, and she's got plenty of reserve torque for accelerating. Pulls smooth off a light, and swings around through traffic and parking lots like a breeze.

Next leg of the trip will be from here to southern Colorado, another 800mi or so, to see more family, and party down for Halloween! 馃懟

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Checking in from Colorado! It is gorgeous here! I camped out in the desert in Arizona, while on my way to the family ranch in colorado to see my brother and my 5yo nephew.

I picked up a solar power system from Home Depot, and set it up on the cargo box lid facing south, so I now have all the power I need to run my crockpot, heater, lights, radio, and charge my phone and laptop [woot]

I logged mileage and fuel usage from California to Colorado, and am averaging over 22mpg fully-loaded on the interstate. NOT BAD! [whip]

Staying here till halloween, then it's off to Texas! Warm weather here I come!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Please tell me you are running the crock pot off solar and having meals cooking while you drive, thats sweet! [:)]

Sounds like a fun road trip
Thanks! It has been a blast so far!

I was using it in the passenger seat off the inverter connected to the car battery while driving here, and just got the solar set up and running about a week ago [thumb]

I have two 6amp panels feeding through a 20amp charge controller, and keeping my 850amp deep cycle topped off everyday by noon with good sunshine. [8D]

I'm using an 700w(1800max) 115v inverter to run the crock, heater, chargers, etc. which I recently moved to the trailer box, so I can use it in my camp setup off the big battery. I can run both sides of the crock on low, lights, radio, and the 250w space heater, all night on a good day's charge! [headbang]

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Checking in from Texas! [cheers]

Just about finished with the trailer, and doing a few more little things to the car before we take off again.

The Focus (Now dubbed 'Consuela') is getting some Timken hubs & bearings, a pair of Proforged outer rod ends, and a set of Proforged ball joints. along with a full set of new tires. [wrenchin]

Getting ready for another 2000+ miles![driving]

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Back in good ol' Oregon! Home sweet home! averaged about 27 mpg this time, and rolls MUCH smoother. Got a fresh pair of shoes up front, and the fronts moved back, and the bald rears off and gone. New Denso radiator coming in today from Rock! She's begun to develop a slight leak at a couple of the core row joints on the bottom couple rows, and she's ready for a new thermostat and fluids anyways too. Going to change her oil again also, as that is the most important thing you can do. The lifeblood of the engine is her oil <3

Other than that, I've been enjoying being back in the rainforest, and being back in my happy zone!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Pics!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Where 'bouts in Oregon you at?
At the moment, I am around the coast between Florence and Newport. Haven't been up this far north yet, so I've been exploring and checking out good camp spots! Getting a few things sorted out here, renew my tags & license, re-up my PO box for another 6 months, and more or less getting my residency refreshed, since I've been gone for about 6 months, and have no physical address. As soon as I get business dealt with, I'll be heading down to Arizona for the rest of the spring thaw, and dry things out a bit before I head back to Colorado for the summer. [driving]

Just been rockin the National Forests, as a $30 annual forest pass is a LOT cheaper than rent, LOL! definitely not my first rodeo, as I grew up in the Colorado wilderness with my grandfather, and am quite comfortable being a good distance from civilization. I've never been much of a "people person" but I give a shout out once in a while [poke]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts