Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When should OEM struts on '02 SE be replaced?

I tried searching for this info, but got buried in threads about upgrading and modding struts and suspension --- I don't need to know about that! :)

I'm about to make a big move across the country and am selling my 02 SE Sedan.

A mechanic for a prospective buyer has said that the struts need (or are recomended) to be replaced (to the tune of $624).

I'm just curious if anyone knows what the recommended life expectancy of struts on an SE is (under normal/average city driving conditions)...

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

./s4z

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
How many miles do you have on it? My factory struts were OK to about 72,000 when I upgraded to SVT suspension, although by that time they were starting to give out (the car would bounce more over inclines/bumps and take longer to recover after a hard turn.) $625 seems pretty steep, but wouldn't be out of the question if it includes springs, labor and an alignment...its hard to say when suspension needs to be replaced based on mileage alone, taking highway vs. street miles, road conditions and your driving style into consideration. I'd take it to another mechanic and get a second opinion, especially if $625 is just for stock/OE replacement struts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts