Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have a simple project go to hell in a hand basket? That is what happened to me when trying to replace the torque strut mount. As it turned out, the bolt that goes through the mount into the subframe had become one with the mount.

After three days of laying under the car, using a gallon of liquid wrench, breaking the head off the bolt, finally using a small hack saw to cut the bolt in half, and as a bonus damaging the threads of the nut that is welded to the top subframe, I finally got the mount out.

What a mess. Tomorrow I have to find another bolt, and hopefully get it back together. [wrenchin]

Darren Needham
Andover, Ks.
03 ZX5 SVT / CD Silver / 118k

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
At least the hard part is now done. Install should be the easy part. good luck finishing.

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
man that f #ckin sucks

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It should be all down hill from here, though. Tap out the welded on nut and throw in a new bolt, possibly with some anti-seize.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What's the name of the aftermarket mount everyone here recommends? I need to replace mine (it's not damaged like that but it sure allows a ton of movement) and I don't want to replace it with the soft, juicy factory design..

Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
CFM sells several of them. I went the cheap route and just bought the poly bushings for the stock mount but I haven't installed them yet

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got the CFM brand mount and love. It totally change the way the car felt while accelerating and deccel, no more slop. It's a must if you auto-x

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you get the inserts be sure to check them every 3,000 because they can slip out of the original dog bone. I have the CFM race and I like it. Should have gone with the ordinary CFM. The amount of vibration I hear now is substantial.

·
Registered
35 Posts
lol yea that happen to mine too, lucky i had it at my work a ford dealer and had it up on a lift i was able to get a mini air sawzall and press in new mounts from massive reusing the stock dogbone mount holder.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a similar issue to what the poster had, except my bolt only broke flush the nut welded to the top of the mount. I got the strut out fine and drilled what I thought as straight, but of course it wasn't. Now I,ve got a a hole through the nut and the broken bolt. So now an easy-out wont do the trick. Wtf do I do now? Sure wish I be room to pop the nut off with a cold chisle...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Did you get fixed up anti?
If not. .. how about a couple pics?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did fix it. I didn't take pics though as I was working against the clock, but here is how I fixed it:
1. I drilled out as much of the bolt as I could, running the bit through the bottom hole and into the broken bolt.
2. Took the air chisle out, and just bladed away around the inside of the nut that is welded to upper side of the subframe, until the nut broke free.
3. Rode th wife's bike to the hardware store to buy replacement nut, lock washers, and bolt (10x 1.5x 75mm long)
4 put the mount in, ran the bolt through with a lock washer on both sides, and was good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
The best part; a poly bushing'd dogbone is an easy install AAAAAND makes the driving behavior new & secksy!

As a technician I can verify: It's never a very complex job (no matter what job it is); it's the things that go wrong as you get through it that test your will, patience, and time!

·
Registered
156 Posts
same thing happened to mine, but the mount would make unbearable creaking sound, every time the engine moved. drilled out the bolt enough to pull the mount out, grabbed the rest of the bolt threaded into the nut with locking pliers and slowly spun it out. slapped in a newer mount and new bolt, everything is tight and no more creak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts