Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, when buying speakers... is it a good idea to keep it in the same brand/model for the front n rear? or is mixing up a good thing too?

im not sure on the speakers.. im trying to put together a front/rear speaker, with a amp.

-----

for speakers, im lookin at the Polk Audio MM571

• 5"x7" 2-way speakers (pair)
  • woven honeycomb glass fiber composite woofer cone with butyl rubber surround
  • 1" silk composite dome tweeter
  • certified for marine use
  • 2.7-ohm impedance for extra power (compatible with all factory or aftermarket car stereos)
  • power range: 15-90 watts RMS (200 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 38-25,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB @ 2.83 V
  • top-mount depth: 2-5/8"

------

im thinking on staying with the same speakers for front n rear... would those be a good combo or should i mix them up???

------ for a amp, im not sure what kind of specs im looking for. someone help me out.... the amp is only going to be running to the front n rear speakers.... and tweeters too if they supposed to be hooked up to em.

-------

all help will be thankED!!!

-Bunna

·
Registered
301 Posts
definitely stay with the same brand! they will be 'voice matched'. as far as amplifier, without getting into specific brands, stay with a leading manufacturer. you should be fine with 50-75x4 RMS pushing them. i would stick with a class 'AB' amp for best sound quality. class 'D' if space/heat is an issue.

·
Registered
433 Posts
...x2^^^^^

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would personally recommend getting one nice pair of components for the front, and amp them with a good 100+ watts of good clean power. Also, deaden your front doors for improved midbass response and a reduction in road noise and rattles.

One potent pair of speakers on a budget I would recommend is the Image Dynamics CTX65CS. While I've never heard them personally, on the car audio forum which I frequent, they are getting rave reviews.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6201

As far as power goes, there are several options depending on how much you're willing to spend. You can get an amp for as little as $45 from Profile (www.profileusa.com, go to their online store, look at the 400SX). Other budget options include Hifonics or Cadence (www.cadencestore.com, their outlet section is fantastic)

I highly recommend Second Skin deadening (www.secondskinaudio). In all my time installing, it's the best I have come across. Ant, the owner of SS, is a really cool dude who will personally help you decide what products you need. For a bit less, check out RAAMat (www.raamaudio.com). It's a very effective butyl deadener, but is a bit sloppier during install. I'd avoid FatMat, because its just crappy asphalt roof patching material. Don't believe their hype. eDead is alright, but Ben Milne, the owner of eDuh is a pretty crappy dude with overrated products. I pretty much just don't trust their business ethics.

Anyhow, ranting aside and back to the topic at hand, I like to recommend that you spend a majority of your speaker budget on your front speakers; after all that's where you are. For the time being, if I were you, I'd get nice front speakers, keep the stockers in the rear and just keep them turned down. Screw whoever is sitting in the back [:D]

·
Registered
422 Posts
id probably stick with the same speakers all around, though it would be interesting to put 6x9s in the rear (dont know if they fit)

the reason i say this is that i believe you could get more low end with them

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^You'd have to cut a big hole to get a 6x9 back there, and even then you'd have clearance issues, I think.

I would have to agree with jmanpc. Get one good set of components up from, supply them with about 100 watts RMS (each) and enjoy.

However, are you going to have a sub at all? If not, you may want some rear speakers, just to give some added sound. If you are running a sub, forget the rears (as long as you don't care how good it sounds in the back seat).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don't mess around with putting bynines in. While the extra cone area is enticing, it's not worth hacking up your car. If you're serious about getting extra oomph in the bass department without putting a subwoofer in, get a pair of 6.5" freeair midbasses or subwoofers, make some adapter rings, and put them in the rear.

Speakers such as these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-305
or
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-832

www.partsexpress.com and www.madisound.com are your friends.

·
Registered
0 Posts
id probably stick with the same speakers all around, though it would be interesting to put 6x9s in the rear (dont know if they fit)

the reason i say this is that i believe you could get more low end with them
6x9's in the rear will not fit without some modification back there. I have seen it done but remember to look at the depth of the 6x9's to see if they will fit back there before modding as some 6x9's may be too deep

and to toeycrack, keep the same speakers front to rear, you don't want to be mixing brands or even models.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i have a set of memphis pr 5x7s and love the sound, they are hooked to a memphis 300x4 amp

·
Registered
94 Posts
I sell the whole polk line, and you are going with a great set of speakers, i would even recommend going with the Polk pa500.4, its what i run on my polk SR6500's, great amp, just pricey. do recommend a component in the front as well, add the tweeter to the a pillar, it help lift the sound stage from the knees to the ears, but the 5x7 will be fine.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey kustomstunes... i've been lookin for polk speakers.... what kidn of price range r u charging.

i do want component for the speakers BUT if i run a 4 or 5 channel amp, would i still need the component??

how much do you guys run the mm571 for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts