Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone:
First, let me just say that This site is awesome and I appreciate all the feedback in my last posts. I have to say I am very happy with my focus.I bought it used with 20,000 miles. Its a 2000 sedan SE with the Zetec 5 speed in white. I just did the oil change (dont trust dealers!)i put 5w 30 with k&n oil filter. Will be getting a volant intake and hopefully the borla catback within the next month.Do the ultralite spark plugs with the wires make a difference? One thing i do need to do its that my focus interestingly enough did not come with a tachometer. So I will pe putting one in. I have basically been shifting by ear.For performance shifting, what i have seen its that first can get to 25 maybe 30( i do not push it more than that)then second close to 50. Just wanted to know what the concensus is with you guys!!!

And once again thank you!!![:D]

·
Registered
5 Posts
according to my owners manual, shift at 14, 25, 36, and 40: gears 2 thru 5. ( I think those are the numbers). Of course that gives better economy and less acceleration.
Also, 20, 30, 40, and 50 are easy numbers to remember.

·
Registered
74 Posts
so wait... 20,30,40, and 50... and I cruise at 35 in 5th... it's just over 1.1krpms so is this a bad thing? and if so, why does my retarded "shift light" aka the up arrow tell me to do so?

·
Registered
15 Posts
the shift light doesn't go by your speed, but by something in your engine(can't think of what its called right now). so when ever that gets high enough your light will light up. if you watch when you accelerating really hard the light won't even light up some times.

·
Registered
842 Posts
you should shift around 4-4.5k that would be nice.

·
Registered
688 Posts
dustintp said:
the shift light doesn't go by your speed, but by something in your engine(can't think of what its called right now). so when ever that gets high enough your light will light up. if you watch when you accelerating really hard the light won't even light up some times.
Your shift light goes on when your tach needle reaches 3,000 rpms, its annoying cuz it will do it when the rpm drops from lets say 5,000 to 2,500. when it hits the 3,000 point it goes on

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
The shift light does not go on at 3000. I've seen mine come on as low as 1800 rpms. I don't think it has any set rpm when it comes on either.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've seen the shift light come on as early as 1800revs, after that It'll turn on and off when it feels like it. At least it's smart enough not to tell you to shift after you're already in fifth, my old car did that. As for shift points, I usually shift at about 3000. About 4500 when getting on the freeway. And about 6000 when I really get on it. If you really want good gas mileage, shift when the light tells you to. The only thing that will happen is that your engine will bog a little bit.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Actually when I'm in 5th it will tell me to shift lol n im like umm a little hard to do that! lol no more gears and reverse isnt an option at around 70 lol

·
Registered
816 Posts
FoRdFoCuZdRiVeR said:
Actually when I'm in 5th it will tell me to shift lol n im like umm a little hard to do that! lol no more gears and reverse isnt an option at around 70 lol
What year is yours? Maybe it's something they changed in later models.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
actually it isnt a specific RPM, it tireis to tell you where the shits would make the best gas mislage, but you can reteach it as well, and im not for suer on this but we talked about it on the old forum and it seems it can also tell you to shift wher eyou shift most often, i sued to shift around 4 alot and suddenly it started saying to shift at 4, but now i dont even ever notice it or my engine light[:p]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts