1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
I don't think you get a choise of tire. 205/40s are TINY anyways. Compared to stock SVT tires, there is more than a half-inch less sidewall.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm....yea thats what it seems. any clue whats the widest i could go? probably 215? i do have the 2"-2.2" drop from eibach soooooo i have no clue.... id like to go as wide as i can without rubbing of course.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeaaaaaaa so i did call them. they said it depends on what they have on hand, and they are low pro high performance tires. he started naming off goodyear, pirelli, and other ones that i forgot. sooooo hmmm now i should call to see how much they weigh.....

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well what are the downsides to having a 40 sidewall?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It seems like 215/45R17 is the standard size when upgrading,
if you go with a 40 series, your odometer will be off, and it might look a little funny, might not.
Sometimes people go with a smaller size tire when autocrossing to help with getting the tire moving (less mass) I believe, since they never reach speeds where they need to top out their top gear.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've got 18inchers with 40's on them now. Copy and paste the link in my sig to see pics. I also have 1.5 inch drop so you cann see basically what they look like. I think I've decided my next set of tires will be 45's to eat up a little more fender gap.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Also check what OFFSET those wheels are.
That will make all the difference in the world as far as rubbing is concerned on a dropped suspension.
My guess...40 or 42mm.
You'll be hard pressed to get 215's on them without rubbing if that's the case.

BTW, 215/40/17 would be the closest match for your stockers if you want the speedo to read accurately.
215/45/17 are stock size on SVTF, and are 1/2" taller than the standard models' tires.

More often than not, those tire "packages" have some el-cheapo rubber mated to them.
I'd get a definite make/model from them before ordering.
In fact, I would not doubt this is what they use:
Nankang NS-1 - http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/NANNS1205-40-17.htm
More than a few people have bought packages, and that's what they came with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts