Focus Fanatics Forum banner

wheels

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Oni 
#1 ·
I would like to know why the majority of focus owners don't like chrome wheels! [???:)]

#3 ·
I would say that it depends on the application. Like the factory chrome SVT wheels look great. But alot of the aftermarket ones look too.........umm, blingy<----best word i could think of. I guess most dont care for that look, but like i said, it really depends on the wheel and the car. But whatever you like, is whatever you like. Do what makes you happy.

#5 ·
must be a west coast thing, even here in oregon, not a lot of people like the brushed aluminum, or painted wheels, i only see gunmetal on ricers or ( not to be racist) on mexican cars. i guess i just like my cars blingy! hehe

#7 ·
Generally, the sport compact market isn't really into "bling". It could almost be said that any kind of chrome at all is a no-no with sport compacts.

It's not about "flash" as much as it's about "fast", and chrome = heavy.

#8 ·
It's all about personal preference. I am a huge fan of chrome rims. That's why I put some on my car. It also depends on the application. Most people on this site agree with me that my car looks good with chrome rims. The white begs for chrome. Also I made it all flow with by having chrome headlights, taillights, and clear corners. It also made my rims flow with my car better when I lowered my car. Chrome rims might be heavy, but that sort of thing doesnt matter to someone like me who doesnt care to have the fastest car around. Do what you like, because after all....its your car. [thumb]

#10 ·
I work at a high end Chrome Shop in S. Cali, and I can tell you most of the vehicles we do are either luxury or super sports cars. Me personally, I dont like chromes on ALOT of cars, but the cars that it looks good on, it looks freakin amazing. We only really do OEM wheels too, so those big huge diamond cut fugly wheels... theyre gonna look bad no matter what. But a set of factory Jaguar or Mercedes AMG wheels, gorgeous.

#13 ·
Oviously all of the following is IMHO. I just have very strong feelings on this.

In my eyes, there is only a small handful of cars that actually look decent with chrome. A black luxury car with 20 inch or less chrome wheels with a clean design (as in 10% of the designs I have seen) can look good. Although never as good as a nice un-chromed wheel. Even though they can be quite expensive, chrome always looks very cheesey and cheap. All looks and flash, no substance or style.

I think anything over 20 inches looks ridiculous, especially on a non-suv. I already have a serious dislike for SUVs, and throwing chrome rims on them is so totally played out that it doesn't even make an impact anymore. Half the trucks at the local Chevy dealer come with chrome dubs already, so who cares.

I am a performance fanatic, so I can't imagine that I would ever get chrome wheels put on anything. Ever.

Any time I see big chrome wheels on a serious sports car, it just makes me want to run up to the owner and kick them in the nuts. If you don't care about performance in the first place, why did you waste money on a serious sports car? All you're doing is showing the world that you're a poseur and that you bought the car to show off, with no real knowledge of what you have. What, you think people are having a hard time noticing your bright yellow Lamborghini, or are left unsure that you have money? You might as well throw an APC bodykit on a Ferrari or put little 13" gold Daytons on a H1.

To me, sport compacts have never, and will never look good with chrome. It's the antithesis of what they are all about. Small, fun, agile, economical cars for the real world.

Those 'donkin' cars, a $3K crapbox domestic sedan lifted several inches to clear massive wheels, although they look silly don't really bug me as much somehow. It's like they are acknowledging that the car is merely a contraption they use to roll their rims around town.

I despise flash and bling in general though. I mean really, truly, from the bottom of my heart despise the s@#t out of it. Arrogance and being a braggart is the quality that I least like in people, and bling is just an extension of that. I always follow this maxim, "If you have to tell people that you are something, you are not that thing." The people who know me know my worth, and the opinions of people who don't know me are completely irrelevant.

To end this tirade, which I quite honestly had to cut back, there are those who simply like the look of chrome and aren't trying to be flashy. More power to you and I have nothing bad to say in your direction.

#14 ·
I'm really surprised that the thread ended that quickly...

#15 ·
Chrome doesn't bother me, but it's just that most chrome wheels are overly busy. They're designs are inherently flash and use a lot of the void wheel space (like a simply five spoke doesn't) with filled in bits to have more chrome on the wheel. It just doesn't look good. A simple set of five spoke chrome wheels on like a new Vette looks pretty good (probably polished wheels, though, from the factory). Anyway, there's a point of overkill, and I find too many people cross that line. I usually prefer simple over too busy or too complicated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.