Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever had their wheels stuck on their car and not come off??
here is what happened. a few days ago, i pulled my car in my shop and had my cervini bumper installed. while it was on the lift, i noticed my rear tires needed to be replaced ASAP. on monday i ordered 2 new tires from tirerack. pulled the car in today. the tech went to get my wheels off and said he could not get the studs to spin at all. is it possible that my pressure washing the car yesterday caused the studs to freeze into place on the can and not budge at all when using an impact gun or breaker bar???

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Uh I can't imagine them still being frozen (water frozen of course) inside a shop where the temps are hopefully above 32..

As far as them rusting on I serously doubt that as well. Are all of them stuck on or just a few of them? Try leaving the car on the ground and using a 3 foot breaker bar of some sorts. Sometimes this can be as simple as some pipe fitted over your 1/2" ratchet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
No way man take it somewhere else and see what happens, that impact should break those studs or strip the lugs before they are just stuck.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah. it was on the ground and the impact gun did nothing. i was there for most of the attempts. i know my door locks were fozen after i washed and have been having trouble getting in too.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have an ingersall rand 3/8" impact gun at work that will take those lugs off. use it every day best 400.00 I spent on a single tool

·
Registered
210 Posts
The compressor could have been low on air so the impact would have almost no balls, I know my impact will twist off a stud pretty quick if its stuck

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
PB blaster or WD40, then tap the rims on all sides, that should budge them.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
something is wrong with the impact i say. even a weak impact can break a lug nut lose.

worse comes to worse use a breaker bar, if the studs break they are easily replaced and rather cheap.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i got a different tech in my shop taking his shot later today. the guy yesterday was 20 years old. time for the 45 year old to show his skills i guess.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you could prolly break them free urself, then screw them back on, that way u know you don't have a problem!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
water would def not hold them on over an impact wrench. They could have rusted on and are seized. You could slowly try and use a breaker bar and break em loose. Sometimes the impact tool does NOTHING. I have had this issue before with mine. Sometimes my lugs are just seized on and need a breaker bar to break free... just hope you don't snap a lug... especially in the rear.. they are a bitch to change.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
We always put antiseize on the studs at work, before putting the nuts back on...dont forget to torque them

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Sometimes with the impact it will take a minute or so before they break something free. That was my experience with the ones I used at work last summer while changing blades on our mowers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The guy needs a better/bigger impact. It will either break it loose or break the stud off. Either way it is coming off if you have a good impact.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i went to pep boys and got extra lug nuts in case these break. i should hopefully know tonight.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got them off. got the more seasoned tech to get them off with his better equip. found that the wheel lock key was starting to twist. i gotta get new lug nuts now to prevent future crap. of course pep boys discontinued them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My focus rims has little notches in the wheels (where the center of the wheel meets the brake disc) that you have to stick a screwdriver in and hit with a hammer a few times to each notch. I found that out from a local mechanic in Tx when I was stuck on the side of the road with a flat and my wheel wouldn't come off.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My focus rims has little notches in the wheels (where the center of the wheel meets the brake disc) that you have to stick a screwdriver in and hit with a hammer a few times to each notch. I found that out from a local mechanic in Tx when I was stuck on the side of the road with a flat and my wheel wouldn't come off.
cool. ive got enkei racing wheels on my car. i wish it would have been that easy

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Two Words: Rubber Mallet.

PB Blaster is a good idea too.
the lugs were stuck on. had to loosen them up before my technician used a rubber mallet. the lugs were frozen from me pressure washing teh car earlier. it was below freezing out and the water got to it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts