Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my paycheck and trying to decide if i wanna spend it on the eibach pro-kit plus or a set of centerline 18's. my car isn't lowered at all so 18's would probably look retarded, but i wouldn't put either the wheels or the suspension on till next summer anyways. i'm looking at the centerline neutrons. you can buy 18's directly from centerline for only 130 bucks. it's a great price and i don't know how long it's gonna last so i'm tempted to buy them now. already missed a great deal on tirerack when they had 18 oz records for only 120 each and don't wanna miss this one up.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've heard you can get away with 18's as long as you don't drop below 2". i know there's plenty of ppl on here running 18's so hopefully they'll speak up with first hand experience.

·
Registered
93 Posts
how about suspension and tires? that way, the car would be fun to drive, instead of just looking like it might be fun to drive!

unless you are mainly in to things just looking fun. i am new to the focus forums, and apparently it is way more popular that way.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just got brand new tires on my stock rims, but centerline wheels are not just bling factor rims, they're high quality light weight wheels. i've finally decided to start modding my focus, and i'm trying to go in a performance route but make it look good at the same time. i already have my roush body kit but i'm just wondering which would be better to get first, the rims or suspension. the rims are a great deal at the moment, but there's also a deal on the eibach pro-kit plus. what i'm saying is which is the better deal right NOW?

·
Registered
93 Posts
the one that is the better deal is the one that actually does something. a stiffer than stock suspension will make the car handle better, though usually at the cost of a slightly harsher ride than stock- if not significantly harsher. this is usually something i don't mind. if the roads where you live are rough and full of potholes, a stiffer suspension will definitely let you know. but potholes and big wheels/low profile tires are mortal enemies. also, smaller wheels tend to be lighter, and less rotating weight makes your car feel faster. what kind of tires did you buy? have you considered a maximum performance summer tire (like a set of falken azenis) paired with a steel winter wheel with some dedicated snow tires, like some blizzaks or the like? that way you can have fun all year round!

keep in mind, i am in no way a fan of looks over performance. so you might not want to listen to me. i am not hip and cool like that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
dazada said:
18's rub without modfiying the wheel wells.

no they dont, i dont think its good to lower your car, anywhere you go you take a chance of rubbing the bottom. Mine is the right hight and everything so i never rub

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well lucas g i'm glad that you're hip and cool haha. that's awesome. but yeah i have taken into consideration that the roads around here absolutely SUCK. but that's about to change soon because the town just signed a contract to have the entire main street repaved, so that would put an end to my wheel worries. plus i'm hip and cool too, and 18's look really sweet.
rubbing issues with 18's
and this should put an end to the questions about wheels rubbing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For me it wouldn't even be an option i would lower my car, sure wheels look great and eventually that is something to do.. but lowering ur car makes it handle so much better... and changes the lines on the car enough that your opinion on what wheels will look good might be different when its lower.... just my $.02

this is comming from someone who has an 06 and can't get a 2" drop yet so i do have a soft spot.. but i wouldn't even think about it.. lower lower lower!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i know. without a doubt i will lower my car eventually, i'm just afraid that the deal with the rims isn't going to last long. and i know how retarded rims on a car without a drop looks so i don't plan on leaving the suspension stock.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
i just ordered the first part of my suspension setup this morning..im lowering before wheels/tires because if i get 17's with low tires and no drop.. my focus will look even more like a jeep than it already does..lol plus i need to save a bit more for wheels/tires than suspension setup... mmm centerlines would be nice!!!

id say go with the suspension first, but thats just me!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I would say that suspension would get you more between those two. I'm very leery of lowering cars, but Eibach makes a quality product.

If I were spending that money though, I would probably go for Azenis or Koni dampers on stock springs.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh^^^ my bad... i guess you can pretend to be if you really want to. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts