Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys,

I'm in the process of getting my snow tires and trying to decide what size to go with. I know I can fit 15" rims on the car but will 14" rims clear the brakes too? www.teamfordparts.com has a listing for a 14x5.5 rim for a 2007 focus.

Anybody ever try it before?

Thanks!
-George

·
Registered
19 Posts
no, 14" will NOT clear the rotor. if you desprite you can put them on the back (drums), they will clear. i got a junk yard tire 14" for a spare and found out like that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, too bad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
nah pretty sure its 15"

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
why on earth would you wanna fit a 14?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lighter, cheaper.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
ok...

the flaws there.

- lighter yes, however you cant fit a wide enough tire to get traction. there is a balance you must find.

- cheaper yes now, however you dont have enough traction so you are toasting tires a lot and buying them more often. i could get 40k miles off a set of 16" BFG tires.

- the offset is likely wrong and will fit strange and look very strange, especially if the car is lowered.

- the price isnt that much lower then 15s or 16s to quanify, especially living in ontario where in the winter you are going to want a quality tire and tread pack to get around with.

·
2,272 Posts
mine came with factory 14" wheels. I don't know if the front brakes changed for the '07 though.

^he is looking for snow tires so I don't think there will be a problem with wear. I'm assuming it's for daily driving so it's either accelerating normally (plenty of traction) or in snow/ice where no tire is going to have great traction anyways. My snow tires are the same width as the 14" tires my car came with but on a 15" rim. They work great [thumb]

I got some cheap 15's from discount tire with good snow tires mounted and everything for $520

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SD has it pretty much bang on.

In snow, skinnier is better (Less resistance/cuts through the snow). If I was getting 14's I would get a taller tire to maintain a close overall diameter. Offset? I wouldn't think there would be any different in offset between a generic OE replacement 15 and 14. As for quality tire, I'm getting Hakka RSIs ... plenty of go in the snow. I might have only been able to save $10-15 per tire and $5-10 a rim ... but multiply that by four and it makes a difference.

Thanks for the input SD ... I'm thinking they must has changed something for 07 since MonkeyGein says he tried a 14 with no success.

-George

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
I believe the 05-up Focus does in fact have larger front brakes.

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
a 14" rim will fit, not sure on 05+ but for everyone else, you need a 185/70/14 tire is the stock size if i remember correctly and that would be a great size for a snow tire

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
yea, i have 14inch steelies that i bought from a junk yard for dirt cheap...

fit fine, snow tires for them are cheap, im hoping to get the all seasons off and snows on this year

·
Registered
137 Posts
i got 15s as low is i can go on an 07

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 03 LX came with 14 inch steels with hubcaps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As winter/snow tire season is fast approaching,
this subject is of vital interest for those of us that must deal with it.

The door-pillar sticker on my '00 wagon lists both:

185/65-14 and 195/60-15

Obviously, either one is recommended by Ford.
However, dicking around with various possibilities seems to suggest that somewhat narrower and taller would be fine too.
A couple of examples:

175/70-14 or 175/65-15

Anyone else care to comment (from experience) on the difference between 14" and 15" winter/snow tires/rims?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scored from the local auto wrecker:

1)- Four 14" alloys from a '95 Mercury Mystique, 9 out of 10 condition - $100

2)- Four Toyo Observe G-02 Plus (185/65-14) winter/snow tires, like new - $100

3)- Spare: full size 14" steel rim mounted with a 185/65-14 Goodyear "M+S" from a wrecked '00 Focus wagon - $25

Tire guys to mount & balance rubber to rims - $67

For a total of under $300, I'm pleased. You would be too.
(Just sayin' :)

P.S. - the Focus's somewhat unusual 100x108 4-bolt/lug pattern can be a little tough to find used. Rims from Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique will work (as will early Ford Tempo).

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just got some 15" mercury mystique wheels and am going to attempt to squeeze on some 185/65 on my 07 ST. Original tire on the Mysitque wheel was 205/60

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too scored snow tires and wheels from a '98 Contour. Wheels are Ford 14" steel and wrapped with 185/70/14 rubber. Car is 2001 ZX3. Clears brakes no issue. Diameter calculates out to .5% larger. They look more than that, but fit perfect. Manual only lists 15" and 16" wheels as options. FYI.....Z

1 - 20 of 21 Posts