Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! have a question and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this. I have 17" rims on my ZTS. When there is 1 or 2 people in the back seats the tires make an awfull sound and I was told that my tires are rubbing the wheel wells. There is evidence of this on the tires...almost like scrape marks. My car is not lowered but the tires are not far from wheel well. I believe the size I have is 215/45/r17 but I am not 100% sure on that. Could they be too big? Oh and one side is worse then the other. Why is this? What can I do? Anyone else have this problem. I dont have a clue about these things. Thanks in advance!! [;)] Beth

·
Registered
118 Posts
your offset is off. so your wheels hang out too far, and are probably right under the wheel well.

you could get your fenders rolled, which will help, which is some bodywork, or you could sell them and buy other rims that will fit.

i don't know if i'm hitting the nail on the head, but i gave it a shot.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I think the tires are a bit too wide. According to tirerack.com, with 17"s and 45 series its recommended that you go with 205's.

You can trying getting stiffer shocks or deal with it until you get new tires. Or like yellowzx5 says, you can roll your fenders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! So you think if I go to a 205 size tire it will work better? I like my rims, sorta hate to get rid of them, but I have to do something.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I suggest pulling the tire and visually verifying where it is rubbing. Is it the wheel well the fender lip, something else? Do you have the original shocks? If so, they could be tired and a new rear set may help solve the problem if its hitting the well. If its rubbing on the fender lip a bump shop can roll it under and they shouldn't charge too much. Downside is sometimes rolling can result in some cracked paint along the lip/fender edge. And if you friends are a pair of 250 pound bruts I suggest getting some lighter friends.[;)]

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
nope I got 215 and their fine...I have a zx3 but I think all the specs are the same....its not that...I have 215/45/17 and I can throw 3 ppl in my car (4 total) and not have wheel rub...I know its not the tires....ummmm you might have the wrong offset...is it 42 mm? I think thats the correct offset but it AINT the tires...just fyi

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
probably the offset of your wheel. if you can answer what geezer said (is it the wheel well or the fender that it's rubbing?), then we'll be able to help you out some more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know what....I am going to say that its the fender because there are small dents and its a little rough when I feel the inside of the fender. ( oh and yes, I do have the original shocks) nothing visible on the outside but I do believe that the tires stick out slightly. Sometimes it seems that only the driver side makes the noise...or its just worse then the other side. I will have to go check it out and get back with you later. Thanks for the opinions!!! [;)]

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
i'm gonna go ahead and say that it's your tires. go with a 40 series (215/40/17) tire, and let us know if that fixes your problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
215 is too wide and 45 might be too tall. Go with a 205/40/17 and you shouldnt have any problems.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yeah it could be the fender rubbing, but it could also be the inside of the well. Best to pull the tire and see if it's rubbing inside or not. Ouuu I finally got 2 stars. [8D] [8D] [8D]

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have 215's and had 18" rims and now 17" and it is lowered and I have never had that problem!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Couldn't tell you but I'm having the same problem!!! I have 18's that rub like crazy and I know its the offset...I don't know what the offset is lol but they're sticking out way too far..

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
I had the same prob with my old Jeep Liberty. Bought rims and tires from California shipped to me in Florida. Company assured me they would fit my Lib, well, put em on and they rubbed like crazy. Almost took off the front fender!! So sent those back and replaced with a smaller width tire. Gosh, what a sucky ordeal that was.

Good luck with your situation!!! I have 17's on mine, but darn it.. I forgot if they are 215's or 205's!? Sorry, couldn't tell ya right now at 1am!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got 225/45 on my 17x7 42off enkei dm5, drive with four people all the time and never rub?? I have stock suspension as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts