Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All:

I'm in the wheel black-hole. I've got an '04 ZX3, 2.3 PZEV with SVT springs, shocks and struts. It has stock 15" spoke alloys. They're fine, but I've been toying with changing up to a stock type 16" wheel and tire package to stay legal for H-stock auto-X, or 17's". The mystery is- I cannot find a good reference for stock dimensions such as width and offset. I found one reference that lists stock 15" with 52mm offset and 17" SVTs at 49mm.

The reason I'm inquiring is I've found a set of Amp One 17 x 7" with an offset of 42mm. I know the additional width effects offset too. Specifically will this wheel work on my car without issues?

And, is there a good site somewhere that I can get info on widths, offsets and limits, for a ZX3?

Thanks, in advance.

Adios, David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy Back Mike:

Thanks for the site. I've been there and it is the best info I've found- so far. It would be helpful is someone would add widths to the stock wheel diameters. There is also a sticky with wheel photos, with some details, but not width or offset.

Those of us living with stock OEM 15" wheels could use a reference of choices of stock type wheels, by year offered, height, width and offset as well as weight. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep looking.

Adios, David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Howdy Back Mike:

Thanks for the site. I've been there and it is the best info I've found- so far. It would be helpful is someone would add widths to the stock wheel diameters. There is also a sticky with wheel photos, with some details, but not width or offset.

Those of us living with stock OEM 15" wheels could use a reference of choices of stock type wheels, by year offered, height, width and offset as well as weight. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep looking.

Adios, David

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
sorry to say but you're not in H-stock class now. You're in STS or SM depending on who you want to race with.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
In the old days, SCCA allowed a maximum offset change of only +/- 5mm to remain within stock class. If that's still true than 47.5mm offset would be the minimum you could go (52.5 - 5). Sorry, I don't know if this has changed or not but a quick look at the rules would be easy enough to do.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Here's the stock solo wheel rules direct from the on-line rule book.

13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed
(including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset
more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The
resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
Wheel spacers are permitted, provided the resultant combination
complies with the offset requirements of this section. Wheel studs,
lug nuts, and/or bolt length may be changed.
Vehicles equipped with rims having metric specifications may use
alternate rims as determined by using the following procedure:
Diameter: converting the metric measurement to inches and using
the nearest smaller inch diameter rim.
Width: converting the metric measurement to inches and using
the nearest smaller 1/2-inch width rim. Offset and track must
still comply with the requirements of this section.

Please note that 1/4" (.25) is more like 6.35mm. I was close!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdy Back Gary and All:

thanks for the info. I have been reading up on the SCCA rules too. I do know that to remain is H-stock I would be limited to my oem 15" or the optional OEM 16" rims available in '04.

I still don't know the OEM 15' and 16" rim width?

In all of the "Show and tell" wheel threads the wheel height and width is frequently listed , but seldom the rim width or weight.

And, If anyone has info on the use of a 17" x 7, with a 42 offset would work on a ZX3 without issues, I'd appreciate knowing. I know that moving to 17" wheels would move me out of H-Stock.

Thanks again.

Adios, David

PS- How do I delete a double post?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
It's 6" wide for both 15 & 16" stock wheels (its buried in FocusVets linked thread...but it's there). There are reports that a 42mm offset works but the results are mixed. Some experience rubbing others don't. I'm think that on an autocross course you may be able to create enough G's that it could be more of an issue than on the street. Experience has shown us that more than 45mm is safest even with reasonable drops and rarely if ever causes problems (one exception, reasonable width wheels must be used as well). The SVT offset of 49mm is generally a no brainer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Howdy Back:

Thanks again Gary. That's what i needed. I'll re-read the linked thread. I'll be passing on the 7 x 17" x 42mm and continue the search for the optional 16" OEM rims in keeping with H-Stock.

One more question related to SCCA stock rules. Could I use wheel spacers to gain that last .25" of tread width?

Thanks to whoever deleted my double post.

Adios, David

·
Registered
25 Posts
You ARE aware that the SVT springs knock you out of H-Stock, aren't you? [80?]

BTW, your 15" stockers are what most people prefer for autox in a stock class (non-SVT) focus.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
ya that's what i said. you're not even allowed to run stressbars in a stock class.

any dot-approved tire you want and wheel, as long as the wheel falls in the .25" offset rule.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy Again:

Is there any advantage to running the SVT shocks and struts over the stock ZX3 units? With stock springs? If I'm reading correctly, any stock type dampers are ok?

I'm a newby to autoX and using 15" is a new thought. The OEM specified tire is a 1.95 x 60 x 15". What 15" are recommended for autoX? I'm guessing the preference is for lower gear ratio and lighter weight?

What about Wheel spacers to gain track width?

Thanks again.

Adios, David

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes struts are pretty much open. Koni's are popular, and KYB AGX is a budget option. SVT struts will be better than stock, but not nearly as much as Koni's. Wheel spacers can be used if the combined offset is within the rules. Hardcore competitors in stock class like the 15" wheels because there are many more R-compound tires and sizes available. 205-50-15 Hoosier A6 is one example.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts