Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I currently drive a Focus Zetec 1.8 which has OZ racing wheels and 225/45 R17 91Y sized tyres but my car is constantly rubbing when going round corners and also over bumps.

I have checked the tyre size and they appear to be fine based on the specifications and therefore coud the alloys be the issue. Please can you let me know your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
What offset are you running on your rims? Any aftermarket suspension? You might want to consider a stiffer spring, some narrower tyres (I spelled it that way just for you), or possibly rolling your fenders out a bit.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
you should try 215/45/17,

or it could be your struts going bad

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I guessing its a combination of both the tire width and offset and possibly wheel width. The best offset for a focus is 45 to 49mm. The problem is that there is not a whole lot of wheel selection in this offset range. As you lower the offset (say 40 to 42 mm) you push the wheel toward the fender lip and the inside wheel well liner where most rubbing occurs. 225/45-17 is borderline especially on a wider wheel (over 7 inches) or with an offset of less than 45mm. All this can be exasperated if you have lowered the car as well.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
YUP---with a 2000 and likely stock springs, you will rub ALL THE TIME. Trust me...I do. I have the same size tires as you do and go through the same thing. Rubbing on every down turn and dip in the road...twisties you hold your breath waiting for them to burst. Next tires go down to at least 215/45/17. You will want to upgrade your suspension soon. I was told that I could get the SVT suspension and that would probably raise it because mine are already worn at 60,000. It will definately help firm things up, you could also look for other suspension set-ups that you can keep the height and firm things up so you don't rub on your fenders every time.

$0.02

ps. I know that a SVT set-up will usually drop the car .5 inch, but with worn stockers your are probably that much lower already....and mushy...

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You will want to upgrade your suspension soon. I was told that I could get the SVT suspension and that would probably raise it because mine are already worn at 60,000. It will definately help firm things up, you could also look for other suspension set-ups that you can keep the height and firm things up so you don't rub on your fenders every time.

$0.02

ps. I know that a SVT set-up will usually drop the car .5 inch, but with worn stockers your are probably that much lower already....and mushy...
FWIW..... Worn out shocks will not result in a lower car as springs control ride height. Its very rare for a coil spring to sag and its really difficult for them wear out. The spring must be damaged (bent) or the metals composition changed (excessive heat or cold) to do so (yes really cheap poorly constructed or heat tempered springs are an exception). Excessive oscillation by itself won't make any noticeable difference either. Springs are built for the long haul. A firmer spring will, however, reduce the possibility of rubbing by reducing the amount of compression. If you go with firmer springs you needs firmer shocks to dampen them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts