·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a question on LUGnuts...

here we go!! HA

my question is...

the tuner lug nuts i got with my wheels have a lug key but dont lock them,
these tuner lug nuts seem to always need tightening and could be easily taken off if someone else had a tuner key..

if i were to get "locking lugnuts" that require a special key, and they wont be able to get ripped off or have to be tightened down all the time??
more or less i dont want anyone to steal my wheels and i also dont want to have to tighten these lugs as much.. so if i were to buy "locking lugs" i wouldnt have to worry about tightening these lugs so often??

thank you
Derek

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Alright, I had "Tuner Lugnuts" for about a year or so, then came in a kit from McGuard with matching locking lugs. All was great till the jack wagon who mounted my new tires used an impact gun to put the locks back on! well lets just say that they were "Hand tight", I drove around for about 8000 miles with only 3 tight lugs on each wheel!!! Now I have Blox forged aluminum lug nuts. I kind of miss having locks but not at the expense of having loose nuts. Also I am running a high end set of wheels that would cost around $2500 or more to replace not including tires so I feel your pain with wanting to keep them. Lucky for me no one knows they are high end racecar wheels so that helps keep them mine, and I dont park it anywhere "Bad" where I have to be cautious of loosing them.

Just get yourself a nice set of nuts and check them about every other week or month if you like. Use a torque wrench to set them proper and check them again after 50-100 miles.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Locking lugnuts do not lock to the stuud. They just have a need for a key to remove them.
So if you have issues with lugnuts loosening, locking ones will have the same issue.
(unless the issue is some joker is loosening your lugnuts to play mindgames on you?)

I like Gorilla Locks locking lugnuts as they look cool, and all of the lugnuts can be locking, (so the lock is not just a not-tight nut)
I had a set of 20 on My Contour, and bought a new black chrome set of 25 for my 2012 Focus black painted 17" wheels. ($45 Amazon).

And locking lugnuts are only going to protect from a casual thief. Anyone who is a real pro at it can steal your wheels, locks or not. Though i would hope THOSE guys are stealing Ferarri and Porsche wheels and not cheapo' Focus wheels!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
again
yall are the best of help!!!

thank you
-derek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts