Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fanatics... quick question for any of you who may be familiar with this problem...

I drive an 03 Focus sedan. Just got it not too long ago (6 months maybe?), and took it for its first long roadtrip (by my standards). It was a 4 hour drive to Flagstaff, Az from Phoenix, Az. So a very mountainy climb. In any case, as I was going downhill at one point, a curve was coming up and I had to slow down.

I was going about 90mph at the time, and as I started to brake the front right wheel started shaking a little bit and made a loud fast thudding sound. It was loud enough to wake a couple of my buddies up who fell asleep. The sound disappeared when I let off the brake. It felt like the pad was skipping off the rotor or something to that extent?

So in any case... I know my break pads are pretty worn down anyways. They definitely need replacing. But could that have been the problem? What do you guys think? This issue does not occur during normal everyday driving. Heck, even going 70mph on the freeway doesn't do it. It was only when I was going close to 90mph. I would obviously like to get that fixed since I am going to Cali soon, and don't plan to drive like a grandma the whole way... [:)~]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
when was the last time ur rotors were changed??

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If your stock 03 is still on the original pads and rotors, then yes it probably contributed to the sensation you felt. However, at that speed a number of things could have contributed as well including wheel balance, and worn suspension components (tie rod ends, ball joints, etc). Speed magnifies any quirks that can result from normal wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts