Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, we've all had our own personal recessions from time-to-time, but many of you have never experienced a deep and extended world-wide recession. So I offer this little preview:

Highway departments will become hard-pressed as income from taxes dry up. During the early '80's, Pennsylvania (for example) was so hard up they filled pot holes on the interstate with gravel! It got pretty rough out there, the highway was just littered with hubcaps, fender skirts, and anything else that could shake off the car. And it took a decade to get caught up once the economy began to improve.

It's gonna be hell on those 17 and 18" rims. Just something to consider...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They used to be the worst in the nation, but lately, they stack up pretty well compared with some others.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
There are parts of I-40 in Oklahoma where I feel like my body is going to shake apart from the way that the road was paved. Someone thought that placing expansion joints every 10 ft was a good idea. I'm just glad that tar happens to be between them and not metal like a lot of states will use on expansion joints (metal expansion joints + coilovers = teh suckzors).

Fortunately, I am not in Oklahoma very much. Most of the roads that I have encountered here in Texas are in decent shape. That said, Dallas has been one big construction site for the last 5-10 years (different projects took longer than others).

·
Registered
972 Posts
haha come to Michigan, we don't even have the money to pay our road crews, there are areas of Detroit that have never even been considered for repair, I swear you could loose your whole car in sum of em' hehe

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
haha come to Michigan, we don't even have the money to pay our road crews, there are areas of Detroit that have never even been considered for repair, I swear you could loose your whole car in sum of em' hehe
I'll take a pass on that one thanks. [hihi] [hihi]

Seeing/hearing about roads in other states makes me a little bit more grateful for the roads here in Texas.

·
Registered
244 Posts
lucky ducks in cali and texas. ny roads arn't too bad....but where i live in elmira the side streets suck sooo bad. i mihgt have to put 215/40's on my 18's before i even put them on lol...cus i think the 35's might get chewd up and bit too much :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
get the 40's. i had 35's and bent my rim in a month. i've had 2 sets of 18's with 215/40's and no problem at all. the 40's really take a beating and let my rims live to see another day.

and this is with so cal potholes. i've hit some crazy ones as well as had to take the car off the paved road once in awhile, and the tires hold their own

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got new tires and rims I was astonished to see how much the old rims were bent. They were the standard 16" 5-spoke jobs. From the outside the front ones look fine, but from the inside you can easily see that they're not round just by looking at them. And there was no thump or shimmy or irregular tire wear!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I HAVE, Driving down springwells in Detroit I went into a hole and the car bottomed out completely, had to have a tow truck winch the car out of the hole. Good thing its a one way street with barely enough room (cars parked on both sides, no driveways) to get a car through so I was only doing like 10mph.

As for bending wheels, depends on the wheels, they all are not equal. I had a set of 18" RSL wheels with 35 series tires and after a week I had a bent wheel (granted I got run off the road in construction and smacked the edge of a hole where a slab had been completely removed and the other left in tact. But still. MY 18" konigs I have hit MASSIVE bumps and holes, MASSIVE, with a 215/35/18. The kind of bang that makes you pull over and check the car, and never so much as a scratch on them. I pulled them off 2 months ago and they are all still perfect. To bad I dont like the wheels (best looking thing I could get on short notice for a cruise after destroying a second RSL wheel.)

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Detroit is the worst ever, city destroyed my car last winter with all the potholes, Chi. is not much better though.

This is what the state of IL did to my car in the SUMMER from a pothole, you can imagine how bad it is right after winter[:(] [?|] [bawling] http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165686&highlight=pothole

Airbag blew, bent rim, broken strut, broken hub, and some other serious things

1 - 11 of 11 Posts