Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 03 focus lx and have had a front wheel vibration since car was new , have 105000 miles on it. Starts at about 65 mph seems to get better at higher speeds. When I first noticed it I took it to the ford dealer, said tires needed balanced etc. Just gave up and have lived with it.Has anyone had the same problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you notice difference when you turn a certain direction? May be a wheel bearing going out or its a bent rim. A WalMart mechanic can tell you if its bent for free. If not either then it would need balanced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No difference when turning corners. I'll change the rims around and see if things change. I will have them checked.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Any of the following could cause a vibration in the steering wheel (in no particular order): 1) tire out of balance, 2) bad tie rod end, 3) bad wheel bearing, 4) bent wheel 5 worn or loose ball joint, 6) worn control arm bushings 7) less likely but possible - a bad steering rack.

At 105K miles I'd be checking the tie rod ends, ball joints and bushings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine too

ours is a 2001, 100K miles. lately been getting a noticable vibration when turning right. almost like the tire is rubbing on something (it is not though). more noticeable at slower hard turns, not really there when at highway speeds or turns.

it will be going in soon, i'll post back here what he finds.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So you still have the original tires on the car after 105K miles? After rotating, if the vibration is still there (felt through the steering wheel, not your butt), then you've got a non-wheel, non-tire issue up front. If the vibration moves to your butt, then it's one of the two back tires or wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
these are like the 3rd set of tires i think.
the noise it audible, and can be felt through floorboard, wheel.
like a droning noise. maybe bearing or CV joint from talking to people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts