Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to swap the vinyl plastic steering wheel on my 12 SE for a leather one. Can I get any mk3 leather wheel and swap the guts from mine onto it or do I need a wheel with matching cruise and sync/radio buttons? Mine has cruise on the left and radio with the sync paddle on the right but I've seen several on ebay with just one or the other, or with different looking radio buttons on the right side.

I was hoping those just unplug and I can swap mine onto the wheel and then install the airbag. My airbag does not have radio controls like some I've seen, my radio controls are on the lower right of the wheel itself by the sync paddle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i don't think the 2012 airbag works with the rs wheel.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want the leather wheel from a regular focus, but if your car has nav, it seems the controls to the lower right of the wheel are different. If the module just unscrews after the airbag is pulled, that would be no problem. Can anyone confirm that has made the swap?

·
Registered
112 Posts
i don't believe so since tasca shows separate part # for w/ nav, w/o nav and so on. When I swapped mine just made sure to get one that all the controls matched.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm wanting to swap the vinyl plastic steering wheel on my 12 SE for a leather one. Can I get any mk3 leather wheel and swap the guts from mine onto it or do I need a wheel with matching cruise and sync/radio buttons? Mine has cruise on the left and radio with the sync paddle on the right but I've seen several on ebay with just one or the other, or with different looking radio buttons on the right side.

I was hoping those just unplug and I can swap mine onto the wheel and then install the airbag. My airbag does not have radio controls like some I've seen, my radio controls are on the lower right of the wheel itself by the sync paddle.
It is plug and play. The car 'recognizes' where the controls are. My Focus base doesn't have Sync, so my original steering wheel only had the stereo controls but no Bluetooth/phone controls controls (first pic). I swapped by the one with stereo controls on the bottom right (second pic) and it was plug and play. However the commands on the right side don't work, again, because I don't have a compatible stereo (plans for the future). Ah, I just got the steering wheel from a 2015 Focus and I will do another swap :).

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just want the leather wheel from a regular focus, but if your car has nav, it seems the controls to the lower right of the wheel are different. If the module just unscrews after the airbag is pulled, that would be no problem. Can anyone confirm that has made the swap?
You can swap the guts if you want to keep the older controls. Each module has 2 torx screws that can be easily removed. I have tried all the matching pairs, to be honest.[:p]

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I pulled the trigger on a leather wheel today, with the correct control pods already installed that match what's on my vinyl wheel. I'll update next week when I get it installed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New wheel came in today, 5mm flat blade in hand, I had it done in less than 30 minutes from battery disconnect to reconnect and test drive. $100 well spent, best upgrade yet besides the steeda rear sway bar. E-focus RMM is next on the list and maybe heated seats and backup camera.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any idea if I can swap my wheel with no cruise control, multifunction buttons or phone connection (literally just a bare wheel) for one with cruise control buttons on the left? I'm worried that since it doesn't have the other electrics that it won't be as plug and play as other ones. Ive read the other forum about installing cruise control and know all about the programming side of it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have any idea if I can swap my wheel with no cruise control, multifunction buttons or phone connection (literally just a bare wheel) for one with cruise control buttons on the left? I'm worried that since it doesn't have the other electrics that it won't be as plug and play as other ones. Ive read the other forum about installing cruise control and know all about the programming side of it
It might actually just work, provided you at least have the 4” radio. If CC is a matter of adding the buttons, I don’t see why the radio controls would be any different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've heard that the MK3.5 wheel will fit on an MK3 as well, but have yet to actually see it. I am really interested in doing it as well but I want to know that someone has done it and it works just fine before I buy the wheel

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yah, since it requires a new and different air bag, it's a little more expensive to experiment with. You could grab one from a junk yard on the cheap (just the wheel) and verify if the switches worked. If so, you'd be good to go after you tracked down an air bag module.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It fits and the stereo controls work just fine. The only thing I couldn't get to work was the cruise control: apparently you need to set a different configuration on FoCCCus for the Cruise Control to work, but I never got that far. Ended up swapping the steering wheel back when sold the car. Still have the wheel with airbag sitting in my garage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts