Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, went to do the rear end of the Koni install but couldn't get one of the tires off of the rear hub. The other side was tight but I managed to rock the wheel off of the studs. Not so the other side. I tried smacking it with a rubber mallet but didn't get anywhere with it. I have always had trouble getting the rear wheels off of the wheel studs on both of my SVTFs but never had one stuck on there before. Now I get to ride around with the Koni struts/springs in the front and the worn out OEM stuff in the back. Should be interesting, lol!!

So, any takers?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Not an unusual problem. It's galvanic corrosion and it commonly occurs between dissimilar metals.

Options: 1) Keep beating on the tire (try to get some PB Blaster between the rim and the hub) I've had luck putting a board on the sidewall and hitting it with a small sledge hammer (the board distributes the blow over a wider area), 2) put a piece of wood on the rim and hit it with a dead blow hammer (use light hits to start and exercise caution), 3) Put the lug nuts back on finger tight only. Loosen each one about a half turn. Lower the car so the tire is on the ground and then rock the car (uses car weight to break it free) or 4) Note: I have not done this but some member have: If #3 does not work, physically drive the car at very slow speed with the slightly loosened lug nuts. Do some turning movements to try to break it free.

When you do get it free, make sure to coat the back of the wheels hub mating surface with a "very light" coating grease or even motor oil to prevent it from re-occurring.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I DID think about trying #4, lol! I was not aware of this diagnosis and therefore did not try the PB Blaster between the rim and hub. Thought about it, but didn't do it. How come I've only had this problem on the SVTFs and nothing else?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
It can be a problem on any car with allow wheels and occurs mostly in places subject to frequent rain and/or humidity. That said, I've had it happen here in relatively dry Colorado on both the Focus (ZX3) and my Miata. People who do snow tire change overs in the winter and spring will naturally experience fewer problems.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Get a bigger hammer :D Don't have anything more constructive to add, except, when you do get the wheel off, paint the hub surface. Greese or oil will work after that, I like to use a bit of antiseize when aluminum contacts steel/iron.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It happens to my Mazda6 all time the. I use a big piece of wood and a good size hammer. Focus more on hitting were the rubber is on the piece of wood. I seen a guy wack it hard and miss and hit the rim. Rim's shot then after that. PB blaster is a good one but watch out it might discolor or do something weird to the rim. I try to stay away from chemicals.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Here's what I try first
Loosen the lugs and a bit and lower the car back onto that wheel (must be the only wheel jacked up)
If it breaks free immediately jack it back up.
If not put jack stand underneath and continue bashing away with big freakin hammer and a piece of wood on all angles of it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts