Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ... I just changed my rear complete K-frame from an 04 ZX5 with a 07 SES and the only difference is the speed connector plugs and the color of the wires, I would rather just cut and put the 07 connectors on rather than removing the hubs and sensors. The wire coloring is different, my Mitchels 1 says they are the same but are not. how do I know which is which ? ....... my 04 right rear = Pos. Wht/Grn and Neg. Brown/Grn. The 07 plug for the same wheel is Brown/ Green and Blue/Orange. Can I use a multitester to figure the wire out ? How can I tell ......

Any Info. would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It's a pretty safe bet that the brown/ green stripe is the ground in both cases. Black, and less commonly, brown, are the accepted universal ground colors and I can't imagine anybody using blue and orange to identify a ground wire.

The thing that's probably more critical is what voltage/current the sensors are designed to carry. I think almost all sensors like that operate with a 5 volt signal/reference voltage, but if they are designed to use different amounts then it won't work.

You can find out what your 04 uses by putting the meter on volts DC and then touch the test leads to either terminal of your cars existing sensor plug, if you get the leads mixed up it will just read negative volts, doesn't really matter. The ignition would have to be in run and maybe the car even running to get a voltage signal back there, but the voltage sent to the sensor will be steady regardless of other factors. If you switch your meter to amperage you should see the current of the circuit, and it won't be much at all, probably way less than 1 amp and unlikely to harm even the cheapest multimeters. If you were to repeat these steps with an 07 that uses your new wheel speed sensors, you should be able to see if the newer sensors will be compatible with your car.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
No problem man, it was an interesting question. You should post back here if you learn more about it, I'm curious now if it'll work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey ....... Soul .... yep it worked. I used the old sensors since the color code from the diagram was correct, one of the connectors was ripped off, so checked the other side and the Brown's in them where the other colours were totally different, so I figured each side one of the wires on each side were Brown/ with a strip and the diagram said the Browns were the negative side, so hooked it up and it worked no more ABS lights. Thanks for your input. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts