Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a difference would two 15mm spacers on the rear of the car make for handling? I'm hoping by widening the rear, i wont have to worry so much about snap over steer.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
I think you have this posted in the wrong section.
The Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension section would probably be your best bet...

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHH now I found where i posted this.... I would have sworn i was in the Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension area.. Whops.

MODS delete/lock please!!

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm just wondering if the wider wheel base will help any with snap oh gosh i cant remember if its oversteer or understeer.. I just dont want the rear to fly out on me if i decide to let off the gas or apply some breaks in mid turn.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
not sure, im not an expert on street cars. but i would space all 4 corners if you want a wider stance. also, with that huge of a spacer, your gonna need longer wheels studs. or your going to end up braking them off.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I believe new studs came in the package I saw. Though with my suspension finally fixed, and a NICE alignment specs from geezer, I am extremely happy with the way my car performs now, and anything that can further enhance the cars control is just more icing on the cake!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
if you are really concerned about oversteer, just remove your rear sway bar. or dont hit the brakes in a corner.
I dont know if widening the track will make any difference for oversteer.

also, do you have 15mm of room to push out the wheels? what offset is your wheels, will that cause any rubbing on the fenders?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't think widening the stance will help with this problem man - could be wrong though, not a professional

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know if it will or not. I have the stock 16 inch rims.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i would think that if you had a wider stance in the rear, you would be able to induce oversteer much easier.

i believe that Porsche used to have a wider stance in the rear due to the mid-engine design. im guessing they cured that issue.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I was just think with a wider base the weight would be more distributed and not all confined. All the super cars are very wide, so its got to do something good for me too, at least id think it would.

·
Registered
175 Posts
personally, i want spacers to make it look better. lol my buddy in his gti, put spacers just enough to get the tire closer to the finder, and wow.... what a difference. it makes it look so sexy from the rear.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I wasn't aware snap oversteer was an issue on Focuses. Have you been experiencing any lightness from the rear on hard turns?

For an FWD car to snap oversteer, you generally need very wide, sticky front tires, and narrow rear tires combined with a stiff rear suspension. Short of that, all you'll be doing is improving the turn-in.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If I've heard correctly, snap oversteer is really only an issue on Foci with -extremely- tight suspensions, specifically in the rear.

And granted, while it may look cool, the way snap oversteer was explained to me, widening your rear stance won't help to get rid of it; snap happens when you're in the middle of a hard turn and letting off the throttle or applying the brake causes your car to shift it's weight forward to the front wheels (where the weight of the engine is as well,) and with all that weight suddenly in front while your car is under lateral force, your rears lose traction, fronts act as a pivot, and you're looking at where your ass end was a second ago.

I think it only happens with tight suspensions because when your car has some body roll, it can still plant some weight on your rear outside tire.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ That is true. Also though, think of the rear being a pendulum, it acts that way because there is less weight.

·
Registered
881 Posts
^^ That is true. Also though, think of the rear being a pendulum, it acts that way because there is less weight.
That's really the wrong analogy, since the lighter rear end of a FWD car is the opposite of the heavy weight at the end of a pendulum. It's more like those blow up clowns that you punch and keep popping back up.

So you haven't answered the question -- do you have a set up for which you fear snap oversteer actually happening? Even with an SVTish sway bar in the back, I don't think it's very likely.

·
Registered
584 Posts
His profile says Roush suspension. The spacers won't do much. Better tires or a bigger front sway will be the most noticeable improvement. Usually there are 22mm Eibach fronts for sale because people don't want to install them when they get the kit.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
i personally wouldn't use spacers because it puts strain into the wheels and over time bends them. thats what ive been told, dont know if its true or not? when i had 16x7 or 16x7.5 (cant remember) wheels they were bending because of how wide they were.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts