Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been lurking on these forums for a while now and finally decided to register. I've had my silver titanium hatch for about a month now and am loving it. Since I live up in MN I am looking for a set of winter wheels and tires. I know the bolt pattern is 5 X 108 and have found some wheels on craigslist that I think will work. My question is what is the smallest diameter wheel that will fit on my car? thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would go by the rule of thumb that you don't want to put any smaller a wheel on the car than Ford does on the base Focus model.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I don't expect anything smaller then 15" to fit. I'm not sure going any smaller would be beneficial anyways.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I asked Ford about replacing the stock 17s on the Ti. This is part of their response:

Ford said:
The Titanium does feature rear disc brakes which may be an issue if the smaller diameter 15" wheel is used as it does not allow clearance for the disc brake assembly, the factory 16" wheels are designed to work with the rear disc brake system however.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also if you downsize to 16" rims, make sure to stick with the OEM tire size of 215/55/16 to maintain the proper tire circumference.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I asked Ford about replacing the stock 17s on the Ti. This is part of their response:
Why would the rears be larger then the fronts? Seems odd that clearance would be an issue in back but not up front...

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Why would the rears be larger then the fronts? Seems odd that clearance would be an issue in back but not up front...
Lol you are correct sir.

15" is as low as you can go. Also check the offset as the front calipers are a little wide, similar to the issues that 08-11 owners have with fitment.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I ran into this issue with my Cutlass. I tried to install a 15" wheel on the rear. It came off an older Cutlass with rear drum brakes. It wouldn't fit. I had to get a 16" wheel. I don't know about a Focus, but my Cutlass's rear calipers are pretty big because of the integrated parking brake.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I ran into this issue with my Cutlass. I tried to install a 15" wheel on the rear. It came off an older Cutlass with rear drum brakes. It wouldn't fit. I had to get a 16" wheel. I don't know about a Focus, but my Cutlass's rear calipers are pretty big because of the integrated parking brake.
That's what I was thinking, I wouldn't go smaller than the factory 16's.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's what I was thinking, I wouldn't go smaller than the factory 16's.Posted via FF Mobile
I agree. Although you can get 15" wheels on the base sedan, those cars have drum rear brakes. There is a good selection of winter tires for 16" wheels, and frankly I think that 16" is as small as you should go from an asthetic standpoint - anything smaller just looks too puny on these cars, even if you go with a tire having the same overall diameter (again, that's just my opinion).

I will be going with 16" wheels for my winter tires. BTW, my stock 16" steel wheels and caps are for sale here in the classifieds section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw a few sets of 15inch wheels on craigslist and thats why I asked. I will wait until I find some 16's or larger now to be safe. thanks everyone for info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts