Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if (on a ZX3 SES '05) it is possible to do 18" rear 17" front?

Would it fit or creat a disbalance in the car?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
It could mess with the ABS (if-equiped) if the ECU sensed the rears were spining slower than the fronts. Also, you won't be able to rotate the tires properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly certain mine didnt come with ABS. Could the front wheel well fit 18's?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
There's people on here with 18's, but if you lowered the car you can run into rubbing issues...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not actually looking at putting on18's but I'm interested in the extent of possibility.

I'm looking at 17's. but that will all come later. Performance first.

Also, have to figure out what I can do under warranty.

I have had mixed signals on CAI. some say yay, some say nay.
Some say you can use it under warranty aslong as your engine doesn't hydroblock and have also heard instant void haha.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
the warranty thing depends on the dealer. the whole bigger tire/smaller tire thing only really works with rwd cars, it would just look funky on a fofo if you ask me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha yeah I know. The larger rear tread for traction only works on the RWD but that horrible gap in the rear wheel well bugs me. I'm thinking Tein adjustable sport shock system or maybe just have the springs cut but my dad had his springs cut on his old '90 T-Bird SC and they fricked up.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
lol DON'T CUT THE SPRINGS! very bad thing! most aftermarket springs will drop lower in the rear to even out the wheel gap. the prokit springs, what i have, drop 1" in the front and 1.2" in the rear. evens it out quite nicely

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would Tein or any aftermarket spring void a warranty with say... Lincoln|Mercury ? (I bought it used 8,000 miles for $12,000)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Lincoln/Merc is still Ford, it wouldn't make much of a difference between them. Anyway the dealer CANNOT (I think legally) fully void a warrenty for springs. They may not cover the replacement of your struts/shocks due to premature wear (from a drop). They can get away without covering anything suspension due to suspension mods. But if your engine blows, they have to cover it (unless its your fault).

About cutting springs, I've never done it, never will and highly discourage it. Springs are cheap enough anyway ($200 isnt out of reach)

Sorry to hijack but,
Shadowrunner,what size wheels are those? I have SVT springs in my car and have about the same size fender gap as in the picture you put up, but I have the stock 16's.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
^ they're 17's, this was also taken right after the car was brought down off the lift. the gap is nearly half that normally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts