Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought four used wheels to mount dedicated snow tires on. I cleaned them up and using a dial indicator checked the runout. I checked both axial and face. does anyone know what the typical specs. are for wheel runout?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Prob. expect less than .010"

That said, I'm usually looking for flat spotting or a noticeable wobble from not being straight. Had some good luck saving wheels flat spotted on the inner edge.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ten thousandths, good luck with that.

.050" is closer to what would be considered true

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, that might be a bit optimistic.

The odd thing I've noticed is that tread running true has little affect on feel/tracking in practice (as long as the tire is round). Saw many motorcycle tires with tread that was obviously "wavy" when spun for balancing (or looked at when riding) with no change in feel between ones that tracked true vs. ones that looked wavy.

Weight variations/runout enough to set up vibration seems to have more effect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts. I found they are all less than .060" so I think I'm good for snow tires. By the way, spent many hours straightening and then heating and shrinking with a torch and cooling rags, the spokes on the wheels in my avatar. Had some nasty ones when I started and got them all under .060".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts