1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
254 Posts
http://www.gorilla-auto.com has some black locking lugs.

Gorilla's application guide shows that the 12 x 1.5 is the size for the Focus.

From an older post, I think the Gorilla style lug was preferable over the mcgard style for the sake of durability. It wouldn't be nice for the keyed part of the lug to strip when you're changing a tire beside the road.

·
Registered
207 Posts
how good are these things? i saw a youtube video where the guy showed how to remove them without a key...obviously, don't try it yourself or to do anything illegal

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do people really steal wheels these days? Especially the stockers.

I can't imagine walking out of the grocery store only to have my car sitting blocks.

That said, I have the wheel locks that the dealer included, which probably can be removed by someone who knew what they were doing.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If someone wants YOUR wheels, they can work to get them. Locks are for the casual thief, who is looking for any easy target.
Gorilla Locks are great.
I had a set on my Contour SVT and 12 years later they still are perfect.
Make CERTAIN you order the extra 'key' from Gorilla afer you get the set.
And use the FULL set, do not cheap out on four. Go for the set of twenty locks.

The only issue is dealer work. You must remember to leave the lock key AND get it back!!
Both are always important.
The key is a smooth round socket with added 'lines' inside. So I usually keep one in the car, and one at home.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I worked with rims and tires, people always forgot their key. It wasn't hard taking the key locks off. Usually just hammered a socket onto it and that was it. If you don't want anyone to steal your wheels, than I suggest you put a set of 2 lock lugs. Taking one set off really wasn't that hard. Just a suggestion from personal experience.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 3 different sets of locks on. A spline McGuard and 2 cone Gorillas. Yes if someone really wants your stuff they can get it, like with radio frequency hacking; but why make it any easier? With locks a thief will have to figure out if time needed to get the locks off is worth the risk.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a really dumb question. Do I have to remove all the old nuts on a wheel and then replace them all or can I simply replace them one at a time? It's been a long time since I changed a tire and I seem to remember some crap about having to put them on and off in a star pattern.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had my dealer order the Ford chrome locks...I only paid $35 for them. Maybe something to ask the dealer about?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts