Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
probably not the smartest move. those wheels are going to bug waaay out of the fenderwells. will need to turn the wheels in quite a bit and stretch the crap out of a tire to keep from rubbing and you will probably still rub. if you want a 8 inch wide wheel without having to run stupid amounts of camber you should look in the 35mm offset range. you can tuck it in the fenders with a light pull on the fenders and a little camber.

now for my $.02 on the topic of camber. a little camber is a good thing. it helps in the corners. tires wear out a little faster and sometimes the ride isnt as good but if you need to make that little sacrifice for good handling and/or fitment then so be it. however that stupid ridiculous amount of camber that so many people are running anymore where there is maybe a 2 inch tread patch of tire touching the pavement is just retarded. it makes the handling go to shit, it looks like shit, and you go through tires every few weeks just driving normally. now i understand running a little extra camber than what is "needed" to improve handling if you need it to make a really pretty set of wheels fit that you just cant find in the right combo of width and offset. but there is a line that i personally feel shouldnt be crossed except by people that darwin's law should have killed off.

check out diamond racing. not the prettiest wheels around but you can get your wheels in almost any size width offset and lug pattern for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So should I stick with 7 inch instead of 8? I did find another set of wheels. 16x7 with 18 offset. I knew I was gonna have to go with camber. I just want a fatter wheel look.that's the only reason I don't like the 15x7 I have now

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nah, isn't low 20's Mustang wheel territory?

We've got a thread on those here, even less (18) would stick out more.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Lower positive offset brings the hub area of the wheel closer to the "wheel center" which pushes the barrel of the rim further out, depending on the lip of the wheel. The pictures in that discount article kinda make that a bit confusing, but sailor is right, lower offset = more poke.

Edit; I feel like even my explanation was weird, wheel specs have confused me for a long time haha

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
So should I stick with 7 inch instead of 8? I did find another set of wheels. 16x7 with 18 offset. I knew I was gonna have to go with camber. I just want a fatter wheel look.that's the only reason I don't like the 15x7 I have now
you will be able to get a full size wheel and tire under your car with no adjustment to the camber or pulling fenders if you run a wheel that is 7.5 inches wide with an offset of around 45mm. i ran 7.5s with an offset of 42mm and got some rub when i bottomed out the suspension or was naughty in the curves. had i simply rolled (not pulled out) the fenders i would have completely eliminated the rubbing. 8 inch wide wheels are harder to get in there without rubbing somewhere and are harder to find in the right offset and are usually alot more expensive.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.do

Inside you meant.
Like enough so that they won't fit because the shock is in the way now.
wrong mate. sorry you are backwards. im sticking to my guns. i know this bit of info for a fact. stock wheels have an offset in the 50mm range and they are tucked well into the fenders. i ran 18x7.5s with a 42mm offset that rubbed slightly and i recently test fitted a set of replica mustang cobra wheels 17x9 offset of 18mm and they stick WAAAY out of the fenderwells.
Nah, isn't low 20's Mustang wheel territory?

We've got a thread on those here, even less (18) would stick out more.
correct. most mustang wheels in a 4x108 lug pattern range in the 18mm to 20mm offset from what ive seen.
Lower positive offset brings the hub area of the wheel closer to the "wheel center" which pushes the barrel of the rim further out, depending on the lip of the wheel. The pictures in that discount article kinda make that a bit confusing, but sailor is right, lower offset = more poke.

Edit; I feel like even my explanation was weird, wheel specs have confused me for a long time haha
ding ding ding! high positive offset means the wheel is set into the fenders more and low or negative offset means the wheels poke out of the fenders. lower and negative offsets are traditionally used on rwd cars.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
You can find examples of 17x8 et30 on the site, that will put you right at the fender with a stretch, -camber and a fender roll needed to fit with out rubbing. That should be the lowest et you should go for an 8" wheel unless you want to see poke and get into more aggressive fitment.

These are 17x8 and et30...needless to say, its a tight fit. Now imagine sticking out another half an inch with the 15x8's, it wont be easy/look good. If the car below was not as low it wouldnt look nearly as good
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351521

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
fact, they clear svt brakes. i pestered TD directly to make sure they did when they were first developing them and they confirmed they clear. only reason i never bought a set was because they wound up not looking the part i expected them to. shame because they are excellent lightweight wheels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am looking for more fitment and wants to have poke. that's why i am looking for wheels that have a lower positive offset. i was trying to see what a good offset would be on an 8 in wheel. but still have lip on them. i will probably end up going with the 7 or 7.5s so i can have a little more lip and some poke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts