Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well like the title says, i was on my way to work this morning and my wheel fell off. at first i was hearing a rubbing noise? on my front drivers side wheel. i just replaced the brakes and thought i forgot to lube something??? or something i don't know. everything looked good yesterday. strange because the noise would only sound when i got off throttle and was coasting. on my way to work this morning it was just horrible so i turned around and not even 10 seconds later, i felt a sudden thump and heard grinding and noticed my tire rolling in the other lane. took maybe 100-150' to finally stop. so now appearantly 2 of the studs are broke. glad that i was only a couple miles away from home and my gf brought my jack up and tooke me about about hour to get the factory jack under the tranny and lifted it enough to get my 2 1/2 ton jack underneath. i put my spare on and drove it home... slowly.

now since 2 of the studs broke in half, do they just pop out of the other side and i can put 2 new ones in? also is it just the spindle that's different on the svt's or are the studs different too?

this sucks [?|]

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Holy crap that must've been scary! That's always been one of my biggest fears, having a tire blow out or fall right off at high speeds on the freeway. Well I'm glad you're safe and alright. Best of luck on trying to get everything fixed up.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
Not sure about replacing the lugs. When you do get it replaced make sure you always torque down the lugnuts properly. The proper torque is 95 lbs.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that is what i've always done. i just didn't have a torque wrench at the time when i changed my front brakes. i always use the cross method too. i can't see how i might have not torqued them on enough. i pretty much turn till it wouldn't go no more then hit my wrench to make sure.

i just got the studs off so now i'm up to the dealership to buy 4 instead of just 2, looks as if the one of the non broken ones are bent a little. i'll have pictures soon cause i know you all love them [:D]

·
Registered
395 Posts
that sucks but i know the feeling i was driving and hear a weird sound i said not this aint right pulled over the nuts were just about the come off lucky i cought it in time i had left all the tools home so had to borrow one, but if figure i forgot to tighten it snug when i cam down off the jack did one side but forgot to do the other this may have happend to you, get distracted and so used to doing it you think u did.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Good idea to replace all four lugs on that wheel anyways. I wouldn't trust the two that were left not knowing how badly they were stressed when the wheel came off.
I've had lugs loosen on me, but none came off. Bet you needed to change your shorts!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Good idea to replace all four lugs on that wheel anyways. I wouldn't trust the two that were left not knowing how badly they were stressed when the wheel came off.
I agree. I'd also check the holes in your rim to make sure they are not elongated otherwise the new nuts will not torque properly and you could be stuck chasing your wheel down the road again.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i just didn't have a torque wrench at the time when i changed my front brakes. i always use the cross method too. i can't see how i might have not torqued them on enough. i pretty much turn till it wouldn't go no more then hit my wrench to make sure.[:D]

you shouldn't do that! If i were you i'd check your front passenger side lugs too.

you can put lugs nuts on too tight which will weaken them. that's why they have a torque spec.

I've broken lugs by putting them on too tight in the past.

glad you're ok though. go invest in a torque wrench or something

·
Registered
78 Posts
dont feel so bad i remeber hearing a guy from the Vette forum say he put brand new wheels on his 2006 C6 and he only had 2 lugs holding the front drivers side wheel on and he went about 4 - 5 miles down the road before the tire took off of the car

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
I had a similar thing happen on my Jetta, but it didn't fall off, it was only held on by one lug. I drove on it for two days wobbling after I got a new set of tires from the dealer. I was ticked when I found out they hadn't tightened up the lugs. What could I really expect though, the time before they let us drive home with the airflow sensor unhooked. Hmm, quality service at Dick Hannah vw.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Wow that's really scary. I've had my front passenger tire suddenly rip its sidewall open (on the inner side) and that freaked me out at 65, but seeing the wheel roll away and the grinding would definitely be worse.

Sorry to hear, I'd definitely check the other side as well - take them off and retighten with your torque wrench (you have one, it just wasn't with you at the time of the brake change?), god knows you wouldn't want a repeat performance! Good luck getting everything fixed up.

·
Random Guy #31
1,861 Posts
damn... same thing almost happend to me about 3 months ago in San Antonio... good thing i stoped when i noticed the car started to shake pretty bad.... pullled over and back tracked and found two of my studs on the ground about 5o yards back on the highway....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dang dood... Glad you're okay. Yeah, torque wrenches are your friend. Along with service manuals. Can't say how many times my service manual has saved my butt when I've been working on my RR.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
PICTS of the road rash...........

that BLOWS......I heard of a Saleen Mustang's Magnesium rim cracking and 3 spokes SEPERATE (out of 5), but not TOTALLY come off.......damn......

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I had a tire seperate from the wheel once at about 50 MPH and I ended up grinding the rim of the wheel out on the shoulder...I can only imagine what losing the entire wheel is like.

One thing I've noticed is I almost always have to re-tighten the lugnuts after taking the wheels off, they tend to loosen back up about 20 miles down the road. I torque them to spec and they're fine. After having the front wheels almost come off once (the lugs were finger-tight) I've carried a torque wrench in my car.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
ouch that sucks dude, glad it wasnt worse then what it was, and when i changed mine studs took like 20 minutes, wasnt to bad

1 - 20 of 51 Posts