Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad front wheel bearing a few months ago, October to be exact. I had it pressed at a shop, and did the labor myself. Here I am 5 months later and there seems to be that wheel bearing noise again. It's louder upon deceleration / braking. It starts when I take left turns and doesn't seem to be going away. Is it common for wheel bearings to go that quickly? I just don't see how it's been quiet as a mouse for 5 months and then suddenly does this. Any ideas on what else it could be? Would really like to avoid changing the bearing for a second time..[mecry]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
What brand of bearing? Did you get the axle nut torqued to spec? IIRC its something like 233lbs.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Starts when I take left turns" is an unusual description, changing volume when turning is more common for wheel bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'm sorry if i wasn't descriptive enough. The noise seems nonexistent until i take left turns or decelerate and or brake. Going straight, or right there is no noise at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And upon taking left turns or braking, it gets louder and louder. It's definitely a similar noise to a shotty wheel bearing, but I just don't see how it could go bad so fast so that's why I wanted to ask.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Does it seem to come from the right more than left?

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
Duralast just like the equivalent cheap crap from O'Reilly (Masterpro) is a garbage bearing that does not last. I've seen them with ZERO grease in them to fail instantly. Buy a more expensive name brand one, they generally last forever if you hit that bearing torque properly.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Duralast just like the equivalent cheap crap from O'Reilly (Masterpro) is a garbage bearing that does not last. I've seen them with ZERO grease in them to fail instantly. Buy a more expensive name brand one, they generally last forever if you hit that bearing torque properly.
Pretty much sums it up^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would consider checking other suspension components.
How old are your struts?

I had to change mine 3 times in 2 years, because my struts were bad. Now my bearings have lasted longer than any set before them and the rest of my suspension is falling apart as it should.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I was trying for a better description to help narrow it down, so far it doesn't really sound like definitely wheel bearing as others mentioned.

Rrrrrr vibration/noise turning left/stopping can even be a passenger side engine mount, and brakes not explored yet either.

Noise ONLY when turning left/stopping argues against a wheel bearing, their noise is constant & only changes with change of direction loads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Until they get to a certain severity, a bearing can be silent unless turning in a certain direction. The first time they went, I had to search "grinding noise when turning left" as that was when it happened. Of course as it gets worse it will be more constant.

I'd also start considering control arms and bushings, since when they go the ride will start sounding rough. But that will also be accompanied by popping/clunking when accelerating and braking. If it's the lower rear, engine mount, the acceration and bumps will sound, well, like the engine is bouncing around.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also,
OP, tighten your lugs or check that they haven't loosened. I had something like that last week. Would be fine until a couple stops, then a pulsating banging noise.
I was going to get new rotors since mine are old as hell, thinking they were warped as it also got louder when I was braking, but keep in mind it didn't seem to matter if I was turning or going straight. The next day, the day I was going to get the rotors, my lugs broke, and my wheel fell off, thankfully while pulling into a parking lot.

Troubleshooting:

1) Jack up the car
2) Spin each tire, and listen for a grinding noise and check for play (grab tire at 12 and 6, try and wobble and pull in and out)
3) If there is a grinding noise, remove the tire, caliper and rotor and spin the hub, listening for grinding noise.

If you hear grinding at step 3, this basically leaves you with a bad bearing, or a bad halfshaft. Most likely the bearing. If it is, I'd strongly consider new struts, especially if the noise started within a few days of hitting a memorable pothole.

If the grinding stopped when you took off the caliper and rotor, you're looking at a warped rotor (replace of have machined), loose pads (check, maybe replace) or a seized caliper, not opening up enough.

More downforce on a bad bearing can cause it to make noise, that's one of the reasons why turning and stopping can make it louder. But it can be other things as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts