Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my wheel bearing on my 2005 zx4 st went bad last weekend and i went ahead and replaced it myself. i had to take the hub to a mechanic because the bearing is hydraulically pressed in but other than that it went really good. The car drove great for about 4 days and then i started hearing the grinding sound that tipped me off to the bearing being bad originally. i jacked the car up and there is still play in the wheel and when i fixed it there was no play so it seems like something went wrong within the 4 days it was running good. anyone have any ideas?? all the nuts and bolts are on very tight and i bought a new hub nut and that is all secure and good.....do i need to check the new bearing?????

thanks [mad] [rant]

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Is that something you have to grease before you install? I know that on semis, we grease the hell out of every bearing before we install it. Never done it on a car, so I am not sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did the mechanic press the new bearing in correctly ? ( ie- press the outer race of the bearing and not pressing on the inner race ! ) . also did you torque up the retaining nut !!or Dog it up TIGHT ?? . on new bearings there is still a small amount of play in ( replaced mine twice now ) .
Or is it your brakes making the grinding noise ?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
^^Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Does the noise go away when you lightly touch the brakes. If so, it's probably just pad noise, sometimes that can be pretty loud.

Or- try zig-zagging around pretty hard. Does the noise change every time weight goes onto that side of the car? If so, that's probably the bearing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts