Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed new rear drums on my car over the weekend, but I kind of demolished the dust caps when trying to take them off (first time they've ever been removed).

Wanted to see what people used for replacements, the univeral one that was at advance didn't look like it would fit very well. Should I get some from ford? Is there another source?

Thanks,

Bill

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks, guess I know that as an option now, anyone know of any good univerals that fit that may be cheaper??

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
I'd get OEM for $8 a peice thats piece of mind to me... using universals your always thinking will it leak or pop off and frankly $16 bux to the price and time of the bearings themselves to me is somewhat a no brainer :)

After loosing a Rear passenger wheel/hub bearing set (on one of my Foci Wagons) while driving ( it was actually being brought back for a bad whine/grumble and vibration at about 20kph to the garage who did it, it broke not 30 feet from the mechanics building) I will "NEVER" get aftermarket suspension/driveline parts again.. after they repaired it and it was taken immediately to ford and had them redo it all with OEM)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You could pierce a small hole in the center of the cup, then use a cheap bodyman's slap hammer to pop it off undamaged. Later, when you tap the cup back on, fill the hole with a sheet metal screw.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could pierce a small hole in the center of the cup, then use a cheap bodyman's slap hammer to pop it off undamaged. Later, when you tap the cup back on, fill the hole with a sheet metal screw.
Good suggestion there, it might have worked, though I was removing the caps from drums that hadn't been removed for 78K miles.

I'll be swinging by the ford dealer to pick up some new caps this week. New caps, installed into new drums, with a bit of antiseize should make future removal much easier.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That one I can answer easily.

There were not any used, as there is nothing there needing to be "capped".

Only the drive shaft protrudes through the hub in the front, and that is sealed off by the mounting nut. Hub functions as a protective shield on the outside, and the CV joint functions in the same way on the inside.

The bearing itself is of a "sealed" construction, with plastic caps between inner & outer races. Much different from the adjustable tapered roller bearings with an inner grease seal & outer cap you may be more familiar with.

cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Get the OEM one straight from Ford for piece of mind and it is designed specifically for the car.

The old one (or without the cap) would let moisture in and that's always really bad for your bearings (would cause early failure)

·
Registered
28 Posts
That one I can answer easily.

There were not any used, as there is nothing there needing to be "capped".

Only the drive shaft protrudes through the hub in the front, and that is sealed off by the mounting nut. Hub functions as a protective shield on the outside, and the CV joint functions in the same way on the inside.

The bearing itself is of a "sealed" construction, with plastic caps between inner & outer races. Much different from the adjustable tapered roller bearings with an inner grease seal & outer cap you may be more familiar with.

cheers
Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^^ Wait a second, he was asking/working on the rear. There was actually a recall on the early models to install caps because they were having a problem with wheels falling off in areas with snow/ice/salt and rust.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
greene04 jumped in & asked about the front, unrelated questions make a thread confusing at times - to say the least!

Not to jump on Him, he didn't know there was a difference (other than maybe size) before asking.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ahhh..... My mistake. That's what I get for skimming!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Planning to rework my rear drums n shoes, so decided to buy new retainers/nuts ($19.27 each btw). My rear dust covers are a little beat up, so I asked the guy how much, and he said $22 each. Wha!? Decided my old dust covers are fine.

The supplier is one of the preferred suppliers recommended by many FF's.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Those caps are getting expensive. You can almost get the entire drum assembly at a salvage yard for that price, and they'll have the cap too. I picked up 3 sets of drum assemblies with low low mileage many years ago because of the problem these cars had with bearings. Many years will fit...... Last ones I got were off a 2007.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts