Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a 2014 Ti with the 18" wheels, Handling Package and Michelin PS/As3's. Bought a new set of TSW Silverstones from national retail tire dealer. They rotated the tires, balanced and installed the new wheels. Instantly the car went from NO discernible vibration to nearly teeth jarring vibrations.

Returned the car for re-balance. When finished, the tech told me "kind of unusual, but every wheel was out of balance". Didn't have the chance to drive the car for about a week, but this morning I was able to give it a good workout from 45-75mph. The vibrations, though not as harsh, kicked in at about 45 and continued thru 70+ mph.

Returned the car and once again they re-balanced, and once again every wheel was out of balance. They finally seem to have gotten it right. While I've not been on the Interstate today, the car felt rock solid up thru the 60's.

Have other folks had similar experiences, or do your dealers typically get it right the first time ??

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Someone needs to pay more attention at the balance machine.
100% operator error.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find it pretty unusual besides unacceptable. I used to manage Australia's largest tyre & wheel retailer & it doesn't sound like a balance issue. The reason I say this is "You've had the car back twice to the place that fitted them, so that's 3 times that either one person has got the balancing wrong or 1 time that 3 individuals have got the balancing wrong" It's just very unlikely that experienced tyre technicians wouldn't get this right from the start. I'm not sure how many people work there or how many people have worked on your wheels.
Next time you take the car in ask them "To put each rim on the balancer without a tyre fitted" to see if any of the rims themselves are asking for weight. By doing this you are eliminating what may be causing your problem step by step. If all the wheels spin up fine (Which they should) ask them to fit the tyres, put them on the balancer & find out how much weight each of the 4 wheels are asking for? Sometimes tyres need to be deflated & moved around the rim & then reinflated in order for them to require less weight on the balancer. (Due to heavy spots in the tyre from joins etc) Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know how you go.
P.S Try to get the store to use the most experienced tyre tech they have so that you're only dealing with one person. Instead of 3 people that get 3 different readings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had this before, the tyre place we're blaming all kinds of things rims, suspension etc etc. After the third visit I had them rebalance a wheel while I watched, take it off the machine and then put it back on and showed it was unbalanced. They then had all kinds of excuses. This was with a wheel balancer that had a plate with holes into which pegs were pushed to accommodate different pcds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They can blame the rims or the tyres that just means that they have to replace at least one wheel & one tyre. If that doesn't fix the problem they can continue replacing each wheel & tyre until the problem goes away. Ask them how can it have anything to do with your suspension when the wheels are taken off the car to be balanced? My bet is the person balancing the wheel has it set for steel wheels where they put weights on the inside & outside of the rim rather than setting it to a "Static balance" It has to be "Operator Error" as "iminhell" stated above.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Someone needs to pay more attention at the balance machine.
100% operator error.
This^^^^^^^^ It sounded like some one just slammed thru. Don't know why they even to the time.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I've had this before, the tyre place we're blaming all kinds of things rims, suspension etc etc. After the third visit I had them rebalance a wheel while I watched, take it off the machine and then put it back on and showed it was unbalanced. They then had all kinds of excuses. This was with a wheel balancer that had a plate with holes into which pegs were pushed to accommodate different pcds.
Could very well be the balancing machine.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Go to a different shop...my old shop had a balancer get out of whack..they knew about it but they wanted your 60$... either the installer or machine 100%... not an issue with your car...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input. DjJunior, special thanks for the step by step analysis.

Just to add, I never suspected my suspension, nor did the guys at the tire store ever mention it.

Car seems to be fine now.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Driving a 2014 Ti with the 18" wheels, Handling Package and Michelin PS/As3's. Bought a new set of TSW Silverstones from national retail tire dealer. They rotated the tires, balanced and installed the new wheels. Instantly the car went from NO discernible vibration to nearly teeth jarring vibrations.

Returned the car for re-balance. When finished, the tech told me "kind of unusual, but every wheel was out of balance". Didn't have the chance to drive the car for about a week, but this morning I was able to give it a good workout from 45-75mph. The vibrations, though not as harsh, kicked in at about 45 and continued thru 70+ mph.

Returned the car and once again they re-balanced, and once again every wheel was out of balance. They finally seem to have gotten it right. While I've not been on the Interstate today, the car felt rock solid up thru the 60's.

Have other folks had similar experiences, or do your dealers typically get it right the first time ??
Hi roswelltop,

Should the symptoms return, please let me know. I'll check into some additional options.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Meagan, thanks for your offer, and for paying such close attention to this board.

I think the guys at the tire shop FINALLY got it right. There is nothing wrong with my suspension, nor with the car. The tire guys blew it on the first two tries. And I am determined that they are going to fix it.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey Meagan, thanks for your offer, and for paying such close attention to this board.

I think the guys at the tire shop FINALLY got it right. There is nothing wrong with my suspension, nor with the car. The tire guys blew it on the first two tries. And I am determined that they are going to fix it.
Glad to hear things are working out. I'll be around if you ever need me. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Operator incompetence. The worst balance job I ever got was from Ford, they claimed I signed up for balance when I didn't. The car was razor sharp and perfect at 70 mph when taken to have something else fixed ( a window fuse of all things). When car came back it wouldn't run at 50 mph without shaking your face off. They had rebalanced and never even took off the old weights doing it, I quickly removed all new looking weights and the car back to perfect again but now with scratched up wheels where I pulled weights off in anger.

They also claimed they removed the windshield and all 4 doors as we had complained about it and a windshield leak into PCM, neither of which ever happened. I traced it all back to the dealer realizing all work was fully under warranty, they were milking their own company to get more money. All the work claimed was not performed at all other than the rebalance. I called Ford central, they acted like they didn't even care. My first and last visit to a Ford dealership other than for parts which I always now install myself.

After watching two sets of tires on two cars take minimal weight I went to not balancing at all. Two cars now and now for 2-3 years now. The cars run fairly smooth, I can tell the difference but so slight most others cannot tell it when I ask them. The tires always heatcrack out before they can wear cockeyed anyway.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have learned to be very careful about who, or what, gets its grubby mitts on my car.

One guy takes care of my window tint (usually only need him for installing tint when I buy a new car).

One Senior Tech at my Ford Dealer works on my car. When I pull in I ask the service advisor to assign the car to so & so. I'm never questioned, and if he's not there, I find out when he will be back.

Up to now, only one tire dealer has taken care of my purchase, balance, repair or replacement needs. But I'm fixing to change that after this most recent experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts