Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Oh damn, I didn’t mean to cause any arguing over anything. I’m a noob and don’t really know the correct terms for these things. But yes I was looking at getting what the RS wheels are like and if they could possibly fit the SEL. Thanks for the pros and cons of having these different wheels and tires.
Short answer, yes RS wheels will fit. You may have tire rub when you turn your wheel to full lock. As mentioned in another comment maintaining your overall diameter of the tire is important to keep the speedometer accurate.

I'd suggest an 18" wheel and tire package and if you like the style, ST wheels can be found cheap or you can run aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The OEM RS tire size is only .02" taller, which shouldn't be enough to cause any rubbing or speedo issues, ST is .06" shorter, for reference. As mentioned, Ford tried to keep the diameters close between sub-models.

There's also a member here with an SE on RS wheels, I believe.

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
Short answer, yes RS wheels will fit. You may have tire rub when you turn your wheel to full lock. As mentioned in another comment maintaining your overall diameter of the tire is important to keep the speedometer accurate.

I'd suggest an 18" wheel and tire package and if you like the style, ST wheels can be found cheap or you can run aftermarket wheels.
The OEM RS tire size is only .02" taller, which shouldn't be enough to cause any rubbing or speedo issues, ST is .06" shorter, for reference. As mentioned, Ford tried to keep the diameters close between sub-models.

What about on width on full lock? I know turning radius sucks on the ST's/RS's, does the extra width play into that? 215 vs 235, not sure if its enough to be an issue...just asking. Suppose having someone with an SE running the RS wheels probably means if there is an issue/rubbing its not significant

·
Registered
502 Posts
What about on width on full lock? I know turning radius sucks on the ST's/RS's, does the extra width play into that? 215 vs 235, not sure if its enough to be an issue...just asking. Suppose having someone with an SE running the RS wheels probably means if there is an issue/rubbing its not significant
Yes, width of tires will play a role in that but since you're not going from a super small size to a redonkulous size, the tire width affect is minimal. I'm not sure if it'll rub against the liners though.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you are sticking to other OEM tires sizes on the larger OEM wheels, there will be no rubbing. This from numerous posts on topic.
If you go wider, like a 245/40/18 (where 235/40/18 is OEM) you might rub at full steering lock, but maybe not.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts

I think that Ford changed to wheel lock thing in '15. Even if it rubs it'll only be fender liners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think a larger rim size, lower profile and slightly wider combination is the way to go. I run 19x7 rims with 225 35zr tires on my 02 Focus wgn and my 06 sedan. I put 225 50 17 tires on the stock rims of my 13 Focus

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So I just wanted to update you all 2 years later lol, I was in fact a noob and didn’t understand much about wheels and tires being “skinny” (can’t believe I actually said that xD).

Anyway after a lot of learning and research I ended up getting the Option Lab R716 18x8.5 +40 offset paired with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 235/40/18.

They fit perfect and are very similar to the RS style OEM rims. Just wanted to say thanks for the help and teaching that I needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 focus hatch se. I went from the base 215/55/16 to 245/40/18. My rims are 18x8 with +45 offset. And I did both left and right full lock turns with no rubbing at all

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 focus hatch se. I went from the base 215/55/16 to 245/40/18. My rims are 18x8 with +45 offset. And I did both left and right full lock turns with no rubbing at all View attachment 306883
I only posted this cus I had a hard time looking for sizes and just wanted people to say what sizes they run instead of giving me sizes that are guesses or opinions that they think are the best

21 - 31 of 31 Posts