Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at some new wheels and tires for my ZX5. The wheels are 16x7 +42mm and the tires are 225/50R16. I am currently running the Eibach Pro Kit springs and KYB GR-2 shocks and struts. All chamber and toe numbers are within oem specs. Rubbing? Thoughts? Thanks all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the calculator. It will help me figure out the numbers. I was really looking for someone to share there real world experience though. Anyone?

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Rubbing aside, those tires are probably going to be way too big. Stock size is 205/50/R16. I had 205/55/R16 (from previous owner) and rubbed at full lock on Eibach Pro-Kit on my stock wheels. I'm now back to 205/50/R16, but with FRPP dynamic springs now (about same amount of drop, but stiffer), and don't rub anymore.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I'd recommend that you consider a different shock sooner than later. The GR2's are a OE replacement shock and are not intended to be used with a shorter stiffer spring which require shorter firmer shocks. The GR2's while a great replacement shock, will self destruct pretty quickly when used with those springs. You'll end up with handling issues and rubbing issues you're looking to avoid.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting about the GR2s. Those were sold to me as a suitable dampener with the eibach springs. I have been thinking it has been a little soft in the corners as compared to last summer when I got them. I will go back to the shop that sold them to me and ask some questions.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The Gr2's are a full length replacement shock and as such will be prone to bottoming out when used with a shorter spring. The long shock and short spring combo results in a considerable amount of lost suspension travel. You'll be riding on the bump stops more frequently which isn't good for ride quality or handling. It also leads to premature shock failure. They are, however, a great replacement shock when used with stock springs. You'd be better off with a set of Ford Racing SVT replacement shocks. They cost less than 175.00 for a complete set and are great bang for the buck! The shop that put you into them did it for one or more of the following reasons 1) it's all they had, 2) they're relatively inexpensive thus they wouldn't scare you away recommending something more appropriate or 3) they don't have experience in appropriately matching springs and shocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts