Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
To my regret I kind of nudged both of my sons to purchase Mk3 Focuses. One has a 2012 Titanium hatchback and the other a fairly standard 2013 hatchback. Both have the lovely automatic shift transmissions, and at last count I think Ford has done two completed teardowns of each cars' trannys.

My older son with the 2013 was in recently either to get the TCM replaced or inspection for the gas tank vent situation. The dealership called him and told him that he really needed to have the timing chain cover gasket replaced to the tune of nearly $1000 as I recall. This to mend a leak.

My son called me and I asked him two things: Do you see any drips or puddles under the car where you park it at night or at work? Answer: No. Are you having to add any significant amount of oil between changes? Answer: No. Then tell them you will just live with the leak, such as it is. After doing some searching I learned that this cover is sealed with some sort of squirted on silicone applied at the factory. There is no gasket in the traditional sense. The efficacy of this seal is determined by how effiicient the person or robot is applying it. Yet another example of Ford cutting a corner to save a few pennies only to have a much bigger problem rear its head a few years into the car's life. And don't even get me started on those ridiculous wheel nuts that they used that are hollow with a cap on the end. GRRRR.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Funny you say that Drifter, my tires still have about half their life left, and a scummy Ford dealer in my area recommend I change my tires immediately. I'll never go back there, they even lied about my car being a one owner. Ended up having 2 owners before me ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Funny you say that Drifter, my tires still have about half their life left, and a scummy Ford dealer in my area recommend I change my tires immediately. I'll never go back there, they even lied about my car being a one owner. Ended up having 2 owners before me ?
As I think I mentioned, I get the complimentary multi-point inspections whenever I have my car in the dealership for work (without asking for it) and tires is on that list but at least they measure tread depth and that is then translated into a green-yellow-red rating scale so with that, they at least have to have some quantitative data upon which to base their recommendation. Same goes for brake pad thickness. What I have a problem with is when they try to work the grey areas or even totally make something up out of the blue to drum up unnecessary work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I purchased my car they told me it was a lease trade in, that had been leased by one of their mechanics that never had an issue with it.

Ironically, the mechanic (which I didn't know at the time) lived just up the street from me and my wife stopped a few days after the car purchase and asked me details about the car, and it wound up being his. He said that he had nothing but problems with it for the year he drove it, and when he told his bosses that he wanted out of the lease they refused. He went to all the local dealers in the area, and they were willing to cut him a deal just to get one of their cars to him just to kinda snub the dealer.

The dealers around here are crooks.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts