Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'll get right to the point. My HID light output sucks...I have the stock mach headlights that I bought from a fellow forum member (new). The light output isn't any better than regular headlights. They seem bright when you look at them, but that doesn't translate when on the road. Has anyone else had this problem with the Machs? I'm pretty sure they are aimed properly, so what could it be? Could it be the bulbs? If so, where is the best place to get replacements, and what size?

Cheers,

Jacob

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
pretty sure they are aimed properly?
You could be blinding lots of people becuase you are pretty sure they are aimed properly

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
the machs are superior to the halogen headlights.
make sure they are aimed properly per the owners manual. there are detailed instructions in there.
the bulbs will not loose luminousity over time. they may change color a bit over time but not output. the ballasts will not cause this either, nor will the ignitors. if something is wrong with either 3 of these components, the lights will simply not work.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Lenses could be very foggy causing poor light output happened when i did my retro fits.

Also aim them properly. I have HID retros and i cover 4 lanes and the median on the hwy. And can see for a retarded amount of distance.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I aimed them based on the owner's manual. I guess I could have been on a slightly tilted road when I did it, but I can't be that far off can I. Are you guys saying that they are aimed too high?

Can you guys see the cut-off point on the road in front of you?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I can't say that with mine i can. It's PRETTY far off in mine but they also are not machs. If you can see it clearly in a short distance they need to be up a bit.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my other question is, is it possible that the bulbs are just defective or cheap or something?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't say that with mine i can. It's PRETTY far off in mine but they also are not machs. If you can see it clearly in a short distance they need to be up a bit.
They are definitely not too low...if anything a bit high. They kinda trail off into the distance, I can barely see the cut-off point.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
If they are OEM bulbs. they are by no means cheap. Gotta trust me when i say this.

they could be a bit to high hard to say without pictures also are the lenses cloudy? Could be an issue like i said earlier it can make a difference.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the lenses are completely clear, I even have protective film on them.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's definitely a pure white...

·
Registered
451 Posts
You have to aim them on level ground 25 feet from a wall

you measure to center of the headlight and then use that same distance and mark the spot on the wall with a line, tape works well.

then adjust your headlights to line up with the markings on the wall

and that is how you you do it, also according to the 03 focus manual you should aim the cut off lines 44mm lower to accomidate for any glare

end result should be _/ _/ on the wall

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I guess I'll try aiming them again. Now to find a level piece of ground with a wall in front of it... [?|]

·
Registered
460 Posts
The person you bought them from may have had a lowered car. When the focus is lowered, there are times that the rear end sits lower than the front and the lights will have to be adjusted if your car is not lowered.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
agreed, aiming them on some road is the wrong way to do it.
That's the problem, I can't think of anywhere that will have level ground and a wall. Maybe I should get the dealer to aim them...

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
^^ Find a store. Target, or walmart, at night around 10 or so like any department store.

When it's dark go back use the wall and back up it's how i do mine.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
good idea...

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
yeah, i go to the bowling alley which is about .5 mile from the house. its not a large white wall, but it is brick. it does the job. the hardest part about aligning the machs is that on the left side, that darn battery tray gets in the way when you want to remove the rear cover. so i always have my grill off and 10mm handy to remove the bolts for the left headlight. this way i can get to the little white knob. because using the adjustement screws on the top of the housing is NOT the proper way to aim them...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts