Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm driving a 2003 Focus ZX5 2.0L Zetec (I believe), and I've got a problem that started happening about a week ago. It started gradually so I ignored it at first.

When I first start my car in the morning and drive to work, its fine. But then after the car warms up, driving it gets a little jerky while shifting gears. And it is a little sluggish when it comes to shifting. If I let go of the gas or give it more gas the gear is like "forced" to shift. (Gear shifting usually isn't even noticed in an automatic.)

Another thing thats weird, If I pass 40MPH the gears seem to shift a little more smoothly. I thought this could be a couple things, (PRAYING its not my transmission trying to die.) so I got a tuneup done and they swap the spark plugs, then I had new brake pads put on the back tires (which is now making a squealing noise, grr!) and that didn't fix it.

So I talked to my mechanic and he said that since this only happens after the car is warmed up it might be some kind of blockage in the pipes that's effecting the automatic transmission. He suggests that I get a transmission flush, and don't wait too long to get it done.... any ideas? This is getting expensive. [:(]

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Do a tranny flush thats a good thing to do. You can also take it to another tranny shop and get another opinion thats always a good thing to do. How many miles are on it? if the tranny fluids never been changed that is a maintence item just like changing your oil.[welcome] [loveff] [ffrocks] [cheers] welcome to the forums there is alot of info on here.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
same problem here: i replaced the valve body (because the solenoids seem to be a common problem with older auto foci), did a complete trans flush/changed the filter, and even tried a new trans position sensor. none of these solved my problem. i guess next step is to take it to a trans shop and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
im not big on auto trannys hope you figure it out

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I know it may sound wierd, but I had the same problem and it was my pcv hose from the back of my intake manifold collapsing. Just check it.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
new fluid royal purple max atx and new kooler i have an atx and it did same thing

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I know it may sound wierd, but I had the same problem and it was my pcv hose from the back of my intake manifold collapsing. Just check it.

This is a good suggestion that I forgot about. This hose makes a 90* bend and will virtually collapse at the bend while the engine is under load, so hopefully it's this cheap fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. To answer your question, no, there are no check engine lights. The "needs service" light came on though about a week or so ago, and I haven't seen it since, so I guess its related to this. But anyway, here's the list of things that I will mention to my mechanic:

- pcv hose from the back of the intake manifold collapsing?
- new PCV valve?
- new fuel filter?
- clogged cat converter?
- transmission flush?

badass3, what exactly is a "new kooler"? And are you sure yours did the same thing? Was sluggish about gear shifting?

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
the cooler is in front of your radiator it keeps the auto tranny fluid cooler like the radiator does with coolant 90% of ATX problems are due to overheating

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So there is a cooler in front of my radiator that's different than my coolant tank? Does it use the same coolant fluid as whats in my coolant tank?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Don't let him charge you to check that pcv stuff. It's so simple. On the back of your intake manifold right behind the throttle body there is one big hose then right below that there are 3 tinier hoses, then right below that there is a bigger hose that makes a 90 degree bend off of the manifold and goes around to the front of your engine. Start the car and reach back and check if that hose is collapsing right by that bend. If you want to check your pcv valve that a little harder to explain, but I could. I almost guarentee it's your pcv hose though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts