Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so today was my 1st day at the track ever...i ran 2 times and my best out of the 2 was a 16.2 @81 mph and my car is completly stock not even a k&n filter, i did how ever pull the fuse for traction controll how is it not even in the 15s??????

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
could be alot of things...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i know i bogged off the line but i mean a 16.2 DAMNN i think my old car coulda beat it... (1996 honda civic EX 4dr)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
well, the SVT isnt really a straightline car anyways....maybe you just need to work on launching and shifting and im sure you'll post some higher times.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its launching thats bad im a great shifter, lol every time i shift i can hear my belt squeek ahah well 2nd to 3rd i do but i hear the tires chirp 1st to 2nd..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the same problem with my SVT, I have only been driving a manual for 2 weeks now and I think there is alot to learn on properly launching these cars. Your 60 foot times make or break the race, if you bogged off the line that would be the reason for not getting a better time. I cant really give you much advice because I am still trying to figure out how to launch this car myself!!!!
I am going to go to the 1/4 track and just experiment on different take offs the whole day until I find out how to get the best time.
These cars (focus SVT)are supposed to capable of 15.7 in the quarter according to most magazine reviews & forum posts, some people even say 15.2 is possible.
Try reading halftimes SVT 1/4th tips, its very helpful its in the 'how to' section.
What rpm did you launch at??? I launched at 3700rpm but I still had about 20 feet of wheel spin so I must of messed something up...

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
If you got the SVT for a 1/4 mile car, then you got the wrong car. Sorry to inform you of this [:(] it is what it is and isn't what it isn't...and one thing it isn't is a straight line performer.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
markysparky66 said:
r...i ran 2 times and my best out of the 2 was a 16.2 @81 mph
81 mph? Huh?

Your mph is WAYYYYYY off. How come no one's mentioned it?

That is the very first think that caught my eye.

My ST hit 86 mph stock, and you should definitley be at or above that.

Almost looks like as if you shut down early.

Did you make sure that you were all the way through the timing lights before you lifted?

Don't know how else to explain it ...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Re: Re: whats with my 1/4 miles time....

firemanfrank said:
81 mph? Huh?

Your mph is WAYYYYYY off. How come no one's mentioned it?

That is the very first think that caught my eye.

My ST hit 86 mph stock, and you should definitley be at or above that.

Almost looks like as if you shut down early.

Did you make sure that you were all the way through the timing lights before you lifted?

Don't know how else to explain it ...
yea. I agree. Even if you granny shifted, your mph should be higher than that. I think a stock SVT is able to trap above 90mph in the quarter, if not close to it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my times are off....about me shifting fast i went for 4th a bit to quick and went for 2nd (thats the freakin 3rd time that has happend to me and i ahve been driving a manual since i was 16...i mean wtf i just cant find 4th) but i ran 2 times the 1st run is this: (yes i know its horrible)

.2681 = reaction
2.7048 = 60 ft
10.8328 = 1/8 mile
68.73 = 1/8 mph

16.4899 1/4 mile
87.55 1/4 mph

that was bogging of the line and all the way to redline in 3rd

now my 2nd run... with wheel spin, i think (my friend said my wheel was spining like TC was still on)

.5640 = reaction
2.5548 = 60 ft
10.5269 = 1/8 mile
69.24 = 1/8 mph

16.2789 = 1/4 mile
81.09 = 1/4 mph

the reason the trap speed is so slow is cause i [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] went to 2nd instead of 4th, i really dont know y i have a problem with this car...i mean i have drivin freakin tons of manuals even my dads 11 sec car.....idk i just dont know...from now on ill just granny shift to 4th

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
on a stock or minor bolt-on SVTF, you need to stay in 3rd at the top of the track. Your rev limiter won't engage until after you pass the 1/4 mile mark if you do it right.. and that's on a 15.3ish pass at well over 90mph

There is no reason for you to be shifting into 4th until you are into the 14's

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Scott_SVT said:
on a stock or minor bolt-on SVTF, you need to stay in 3rd at the top of the track. Your rev limiter won't engage until after you pass the 1/4 mile mark if you do it right.. and that's on a 15.3ish pass at well over 90mph

There is no reason for you to be shifting into 4th until you are into the 14's
^^^ Listen to these guys markysparky66!

They definitely sound like they know what they're talking about!

(as far as your "shifting problem" is concerned, have you considered a STS for your car? That might help ...) [:)]

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Any think that he may have one of the low ball cars.... FF magazines SVT only dyno'd at 126whp.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some of the problem might have been the track you were running at, because for every 1000 ft of elevation you lose about 5% of your hp, that in combination with bogging would be more than enough to explain a 16.2 at 81 mph, cause the bog probably cost you 7 tenths maybe more, from my experiance racing my dad in his AMG C36 an svt focus is capable of about 6.7 to 60 and 15.2 in th 1/4 mile... but what is was designed for was autocross... which is much more fun IMHO

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
svtstu said:
Some of the problem might have been the track you were running at, because for every 1000 ft of elevation you lose about 5% of your hp, that in combination with bogging would be more than enough to explain a 16.2 at 81 mph, cause the bog probably cost you 7 tenths maybe more, from my experiance racing my dad in his AMG C36 an svt focus is capable of about 6.7 to 60 and 15.2 in th 1/4 mile... but what is was designed for was autocross... which is much more fun IMHO
I don't think it was DESIGNED for autocross specifically. I think SVT just wanted to do something to tap the sport compact market. The owners of the SVT Focus are the ones who make it out to be a car specifically for autocross.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've heard it makes for a better road course car than anything else.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what do u mean a low ball car? i got my car dynoed that day too it was a crank dyno but the guy gave me a formula to figure wheel hp and its supposed to be around 136 whp i got the crank at 170 even...the car is stock too

03OrangeSVT said:
Any think that he may have one of the low ball cars.... FF magazines SVT only dyno'd at 126whp.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
markysparky66 said:
what do u mean a low ball car? i got my car dynoed that day too it was a crank dyno but the guy gave me a formula to figure wheel hp and its supposed to be around 136 whp i got the crank at 170 even...the car is stock too
a crank dyno? If you put the car on the dyno and it had rollers, it is a standard chassis dyno. To find out true crank hp you have to do an engine dyno meaning your motor needed to be pulled.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
markysparky66 said:
the actual power of the engine varies greatly. like 10-15whp between models.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
The less power he has, the less he has to shift... if his rpms are climbing slower due to poor power, he should still be easily in third.

I think he is shifting too soon, in maybe more than just one gear..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts